Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Ugly Caterpillar.

JohnP

I don't have an ID at present. This caterpillar was so hard to photograph and is the most difficult macro shot I've taken so far, it is hanging from the trees on a silk thread so thin you can't see it in the photos. There was a breeze which was causing the caterpillar to swing around in a circle of about four feet, trying to get a focus with a macro lens and 20mm extension tube was to say the least..... challenging...  :yes

original.jpg

151191258.jpg

151191259.jpg

151191260.jpg

Canon EOS 60DCanon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
20mm Extensin Tube, Sigma Ringflash, 1/200s f/22.0 at 100.0mm iso400 

john, would you allow me to get this one identified properly. I am really interested in what it may be.

No problem annie... I would like to know myself. At first I thought it was one of the Ermine Moth caterpillars, but I'm not really sure.

I've come across caterpillars hanging on threads before, I took this shot in June 2007... obviously a different species though.

post-19-0-70678400-1373270318.jpg

john just of the top of my head for these dangly ones, have a google of the spindle ermine moth...

I shall let you know the result of the ugly one when the experts get back to me..

john just of the top of my head for these dangly ones, have a google of the spindle ermine moth...

I shall let you know the result of the ugly one when the experts get back to me..

annie... I often wish I had an head full of knowledge regarding these things... I keep plugging away but as fast as I learn something new something old has been forgotton... ain't getting old great...  :rofl:

Funny one this is john,

it could be a brimstone moth or one of the thorn moths, possibly a lunar thorn moth. seems they come in various shapes, sizes and colour variations, and are difficult to tell for sure.

I just looked in my Collins book of Butterflies and Moths and found the Feathered Thorn.

Not sure whether this is the same but it looks bumpy. Maybe at an earlier stages.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?source=search_app#sclient=psy-ab&q=feathered+thorn+caterpillar&oq=feathered+thom+caterpilllar&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i13.10064.38995.1.42003.19.19.0.0.0.0.267.2148.9j9j1.19.0...0.0.0..1c.1.17.psy-ab.IgCOgLFLhMA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.d2k&fp=5ec14c681f1b0b5f&biw=1024&bih=513

I think you are right about the Brimstone moth, Annie. You are very good at identifying them.

In another Collins book. The colour put me off at first until I read that it can have grey or green on it.

The Brimstone Moth ( Opisthograptis  Luteolata)

Description.

Forwing 15-20mm. The brown flecks at the front of the bright yellow wings readily identify this moth.

Flight, April-October, in one or two broods; commonly attracted to lighted windows.

The caterpillar, up to 35mm,  is some shade of brown, often heavily t inged with grey or green, and has a marked twin pointed hump hump near the middle.

A looper with only two pairs of abdominal legs. 

It is extremely twig-like and not easy to spot.

It feeds on hawthorn and blackthorn and other rosaeceous trees and shrubs, including cultivated apples.

Winter is pass as chrysalis.

Habitat and range  Woods, hedgerows,and gardens. Most in Europe.

all those caterpillars are hard to identify nanny as they are very similar, and can vary in colours and shapes and bumps. seem the only way would be to keep the caterpillar and rear it through fo a positive id. also where it was found, on what tree etc....that can give a big clue.

Archived