Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

lightroom classic cc to lightroom cc

ive taken the plunge and brought lightroom cc on my new mac book. but i seem to be having a few problems.  i use to use lightroom classic with my images stored on external hard drive, so not to fill up my internal drive.  first off lightroom cc wont let me import files from a external hard drive. and every photo i do import goes straight on the cloud and not to my hard drive as well.  ive been migrating my lightroom catalog between all 6 different lightrooms editions.  i use to like the convenience of being able to get to any of my images and edit them all with the old lightroom,  this way i can work off line.  On the plan that i'm on its has both lightroom cc and the classic, but when i open the lightroom classic the develope page tells me that i need to pay for it, which i already have.

i've also noticed that i can no longer go from lightroom to the NIK software, or am i missing something. i have tried to contact adobe but im not get a lot out of them at the moment.

this new lightroom doesnt seem very much like the old software, but more like photoshop. and at the moment not as straight forward to use. i'd be gratful for some help.

Hi Paul,
I'm on the "tenner a month" plan that gives you Photoshop and both versions of Lightroom.
I had a look at the new version of Lightroom... then went back to the Classic version.
The new version is good if you want to store your photos on-line to access from different devices, but I prefer to keep all my photos on an external hard drive.
As you say - plug-ins like Nik don't work on Lightroom CC, which is another reason to stick with the Classic version.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Hatter said:

Hi Paul,
I'm on the "tenner a month" plan that gives you Photoshop and both versions of Lightroom.
I had a look at the new version of Lightroom... then went back to the Classic version.
The new version is good if you want to store your photos on-line to access from different devices, but I prefer to keep all my photos on an external hard drive.
As you say - plug-ins like Nik don't work on Lightroom CC, which is another reason to stick with the Classic version.

I just wish I could get the classic version to work properly.  I’ve now managed to get it to work but not the developing part.

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2019 at 23:44, Hatter said:

Hi Paul,

I'll resurrect this thread rather than start another.

Are you saying that I would not be able to access  my LR 6 catalogue which is kept on an external hard drive  ( as are. Backups) and I would have to use cloud storage ? That would very inconvenient for me given that my photo PC has limited internet access and it isusually not connected to internet by choice.

Also what benefits for landscape photos does the latest LR have   compared to LR6 ?

I have got Affinity but find it difficult to learn although the HDR and focus merge are easy enough and LR6 does not have focus merge. And yes I know I could use layers in Elements 11 but find even them difficult although the  theory is not difficult.

Jeff

44 minutes ago, chorleyjeff said:

Are you saying that I would not be able to access  my LR 6 catalogue which is kept on an external hard drive  ( as are. Backups) and I would have to use cloud storage ? That would very inconvenient for me given that my photo PC has limited internet access and it isusually not connected to internet by choice.

No.  The Classic version of Lightroom works exactly the same as the one you have - it would continue to use your existing library on your hard drive.
The "new" version - that you get in addition to the "classic" version stores its files in a new library - both locally on your computer and synced to a Cloud version that you can access on your phone/tablet.  I only use the Classic version.

1 hour ago, chorleyjeff said:

Also what benefits for landscape photos does the latest LR have   compared to LR6 ?

I don't think there's a great deal of difference.  The new version is faster and has colour range masking.

1 hour ago, chorleyjeff said:

I have got Affinity but find it difficult to learn although the HDR and focus merge are easy enough and LR6 does not have focus merge. And yes I know I could use layers in Elements 11 but find even them difficult although the  theory is not difficult.

The Creative Cloud package includes the full version of Photoshop.  I've also got Affinity but I generally just use Lightroom & Photoshop with a few Nik and Skylum plug-ins.

37 minutes ago, Hatter said:

No.  The Classic version of Lightroom works exactly the same as the one you have - it would continue to use your existing library on your hard drive.
The "new" version - that you get in addition to the "classic" version stores its files in a new library - both locally on your computer and synced to a Cloud version that you can access on your phone/tablet.  I only use the Classic version.

I don't think there's a great deal of difference.  The new version is faster and has colour range masking.

The Creative Cloud package includes the full version of Photoshop.  I've also got Affinity but I generally just use Lightroom & Photoshop with a few Nik and Skylum plug-ins.

Thanks very much for useful info.

Jeff

• Like 1