Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

SensorKlear.

Anyone ever used one of these: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/LensPen-SensorKlear-Review.aspx

I use LensPen lens and filter cleaners and they are very good, I've got a couple of dust specks on the sensor of my camera and the in-built sensor cleaner hasn't fixed the problem. I have used Digi-pads and Eclipse fluid on my DSLR sensor in the past (not on my present camera) and I'm not keen on that method.

I just did the scariest thing I will do today... hopefully.  I cleaned the sensor of my Canon 60D, I used a Digi-Pad and Eclipse E2 cleaning fluid.

I took a couple of test shots of the sky through an open window at f22 and all looks clear now... phew. I guess I'll only find out for sure if the sensor is clean next time I use the camera for real.

• Like 1

Let us know how it goes as it would be of interest which fluids etc. work well.

I actually ruined the sensor on my Nikon older Nikon a few years ago by trying to clean it with a lens cloth.

I didn't know that you could buy special fluids and pad then.

Tina... I'll come back to this after I've had a few days to give the camera a proper workout.

I'm very happy with my sensor cleaning... even though I had to do it twice. After the first clean there was just one annoying speck of dust left so I had to do a repeat clean. I went walking this morning and there was a beautiful blue sky with which to take some test shot at various apertures. I have just been scrutinising those test shots and I can't see any dust spots at all... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well done on getting it cleaned, John. I've just discovered my first spot on the 7D, just the one mind, and as I know where it is it's not an issue to sort it in PS.

No doubt it'll be the first of many though.

That's certainly cheaper than a new censor. I will keep that in mind.

I try to leave a lens on my camera as long as I can these days and I never change them outside.

Why can't they have a glass internal filter that protects the sensor as a minute few camera's have, so that the filter can be cleaned instead of the sensor.
It would make life so much easier for the photographer, wouldn't it?

• 1 month later...

I only cleaned the sensor on my Canon in April and I've noticed a few more dust spots again, it's so annoying as I always have the lens I'm changing to ready and change as quick as possible keeping the camera pointing down. I just have to get myself in the right frame of mind to do a sensor clean and I hate doing it. Something to be said for ultra zooms

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just drop our camera into a shop and get the sensor cleaned while we wait for a modest fee. 
I really can't understand why this service isn't offered as I am sure that there would be plenty of takers.

A friend once suggested that camera manufacturers fit a filter type glass on the camera body so that there is no open space for the dust to get in as we change the lens.

Wishful thinking on our part, but why haven't manufacturers come up with the idea as it would be simple and  effective.
I think sometimes that they just like us to keep spending more money. 

Guest DaveW

Not sure about a filter glass on the body behind the lens Nanny as I seem to recall  that a filter displaces the depth of focus a certain percent of it's thickness even if plain glass and that could be enough to put existing lenses out of focus unless a new lens range to accommodate a behind the lens cover glass were introduced, though perhaps moving the sensor the required distance might solve it on new cameras?

"The choice to place gels or other filters behind the lens becomes a much more critical decision when dealing with smaller formats. Placement of items behind the lens will alter the optics pathway, shifting the focal plane. Therefore, often this insertion must be done in concert with stopping down the lens in order to compensate enough to make any shift negligible given a greater depth of focus. It is often advised in 35 mm motion picture filmmaking not to use filters behind the lens if the lens is wider than 25 mm."

In macro photography where lens to subject v. lens to sensor distances are reversed above 1:1 having minute depths of field, it is usually recommended if you have focused before putting a filter on the front of the lens, to refocus again afterwards since focus will be displaced slightly.

You may think thin plain filters have no effectt on lenses, but some large telephoto lenses have a filter slot in the body of the lens itself so filters can be made smaller. However the filter thickness is factored in as part of their optical design and one should always be inserted since if left out it upsets the optical correction of the lens and degrades the image slightly.  All glass in the optical path of a lens has some effect.

Edited by DaveW

Try a blower first since if it's loose dust you will not need to touch the sensor

I have tried that and I will be taking some test shots of a nice blue sky next time we have one. 

Blowing the sensor is a bit hit and miss I reckon, the dust is still remains in the area occupied by the sensor, it's about time someone invented a tiny vacuum cleaner with a very soft brush that could be very gently passed over the sensor , that would ensure the dust was properly removed and not just moved to somewhere else inside the camera.

Edited by JohnP

Yes, the glass would have to be built into the design and as you suggested. It would have to be incorporated into a new design body to allow for the extra thickness.

It could happen in an ideal world though, couldn't it?,. :w00t:  
I wonder why it was never thought of in the beginning. No harm in dreaming :(