Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

SAVING MONEY......FLASH DIFFUSER DIY

Hi, Folks,

A chance conversation last week, with another photographer led us on to the subject of lighting and the use of the flash.

This week he was kind enough to loan me the use of a hundred quids worth of Gary Fong flash diffuser, which consists of a collapsible opaque plastic bucket shape, with a matching opaque plastic lid, it comes with lids of different colours, flash filters, a chrome reflector and instructions. There are quite a few YouTube tutorials on using the equipment all very interesting to watch.

But me, being me, could see, that, as long as I didn't want a collapsible Flash Diffuser I could go down the DIY route to achieve the same results.

I have just completed the project and it was all too easy, but takes just a little care....How?

I purchased a six inch diameter opaque plastic lidded basin from our local branch of ...Robert Dyas Ltd.....for the princely sum of £2.45 .......they could be cheaper elsewhere.

The tricky bit is cutting the hole to take your Speedlight.........My method was to mark it using a permanent marker......then marked a centre line through the longest side.....I cut this very carefully with a sharp penknife .....next.....cut the sides, then, turn the basin up to semi cut along the side marks, so after a good soaking in boiling water you can bend two flaps outwards.

After drying the basin/diffuser off, carefully ensure that it fits snugly over your flash and HEY-PRESTO ....you have one great Flash Diffser that can be used in many photographic situations where you want to diffuse shiny surfaces or create a shadowless light.

Adjusting the strength of your flash achieves the desired result, all I need to do now is to look out for flat opaque plastic in different colours for filters.....but in all honesty I don't think I will use them.......the DIY basin diffuser can be used with or without the lid....it could also be partly lined with kitchen foil to mimic the shiny reflector supplied with the real thing, not to mention the addition of kitchen towel to increase diffusion.

This is an ideal bit of kit for Macro Photography too, especially if shooting shiny beetles or even Jewelry etc.......all very cheap and simple as long as you take great care in cutting out that opening, what looks like malleable plastic is surprisingly brittle.....mind your pinkies.

I've just remembered that my iPad can take a pic....so watch this space, I will post a shot very soon.

No worries about it not being collapsible, the basin will fit inside a camera bag with a lens of filters etc stored inside.

HAVE FUN

Ps. I just tried to upload a cropped shot of the diffuser from my iPad but the file is too large....any ideas on how to beat that please?

FUJI

Sound interesting:

Apps:

Resize Photo - lets you resize to a specific pixel dimension.

Photobucket - online host for images with a direct link that you can paste into the forum as you create a post....look for the link.

I do all my iOS posting this way, means I can shoot with the DSLR, edit it on the iPad, resize, host and post without ever going near a computer.

Your next challenge should you wish to accept it is to build a Beauty Dish.

Here it is....my Opaque Plastic Basin Flash diffuser.....I have been experimenting with it, and have results ready to process.............look closely and you might see that I have added two circles of White Kitchen Towel inside the lid for added diffusion:

I must look up what a Beauty Dish is BP:

I will look up that app...Cheers!

FUJI

post-4-0-13966800-1365839341.jpg

THE TEST RESULT:

The diffusion or softening of the flash in both cases is excellent, the tone may be slightly yellower in the Profesional FONG version, but that may be down to ambient light conditions, I did note that the Fong Diffuser is m,ade from a slightly darker and yellower soft plastic.

My DIY Basin Diffuser is made from Kitchen Grade hard/opaque Plastic so records a lighter/whiter colour....I did use two layers of KItcken towel inside the lid to further the diffusion.....add a cream coloured tissue and you would get identical results to the circa £100 Pro Diffuser:

Still experimenting....Comments and observatuions very welcome:

FUJI

post-4-0-60212900-1365840950.jpg

post-4-0-57739600-1365840966.jpg

DIY Basin Diffuser in use.......................You can see just how bautifully the harsh flash is diffused and softened to prevent hard highlights and shadows........a softer/diffused flash makes for more attractive portraits....it can be reflected off reflectors, brollies or ceilings...many wedding photographers use the Pro model:

I'm sure that 99% of the public wouldn't notice if you were using a kitchen basin?...A lidded basin that will fit inside a camera bag with other things stored inside it, even though it has a cut out at the base:

N.B. My DIY version is not to deride or cheapen Gary Fong's Pro version, but just to prove that good photograhy can be achieved on a tight budget:

Just like the FUJI S2 pro camera and Nikon lens that I purchased for under £160recently......ideas that might help a young or cash strapped person:

FUJI

post-4-0-02509200-1365842605.jpg

Guest DaveW

Assuming your wall is white Fuji your home made diffuser has a truer colour rendering than the Fong one.  The problem with all these large diffusers is they are a bit cumbersome with on camera flash.

For those who don't know the US Garry Fong light diffusers:-

http://www.garyfongestore.com/flash-accessories.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6cQ4bKhTRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1I7dHXBgY

They do similar things much cheaper than Fong on EBAY though:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7dayshop-DOME-Lambency-Flash-Diffuser-for-Canon-430EXII-430EX-Speedlite-/360580612501?pt=UK_Photography_Flash_Diffusers&hash=item53f4478195

Though something like this probably is a lot lighter on the camera and works as well as the bowl:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Studio-Flash-Diffuser-Softbox-For-Canon-580EX-II-580EX-430EXII-Nikon-Sony-Sigma-/370710112801?pt=UK_Photography_Flash_Diffusers&hash=item56500b6a21

Still it's fun to make your own provided you can't get the equivalent even cheaper ready made, and as said I don't like that yellow colour cast the Fong diffuser has in your shot. I presume you were not using the filters with it Fuji?

I made one out of the bottom of a white translucent shampoo bottle many years ago, I slit all four corners and then put some white insulation tape around it so it was a snug fit.
It was only the shape of the flash head but it served the purpose and is still going strong..

I do like your idea of using a basin though.

I noticed straight away how the shadows were softened and the light was even.

Good one, Fuji.