Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Photo Scanner Advice

Does anyone here use a dedicated photo scanner for archiving and editing purposes? I've been using a Canon Pixma MP250, while it does s half decent job I can't help thinking the scans could be better, any recommendations? All advice gratefully received.

I have a Nikon Coolscan IV with single slide and 35mm film feeders which I have used to archive our old film shots. If it would be any use to you then it was given to me by a friend who had digitised 27000 images and never wanted to see it again. It will digitise slide or negative films, takes and age to do it and can produce huge files as well. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kcbrecks said:

I have a Nikon Coolscan IV

After 27,000 images I'm not sure I'd want to see again either, thankfully I've just a few hundred but I am looking to get the best quality possible.
Appreciate the advice :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

It's not quite clear to me whether you are looking to scan prints or negatives/slides. 

In either case: the resolution numbers on the box are generated by the marketing department not the engineering department. So while the output may have the number of pixels stated, they may not be independent. Flatbeds with a film mode are especially egregious in this area. For example, the Canon 9000F which I have has an optical resolution for film of 9600dpi, but the effective resolution is about 2000dpi (which requires scanning at 4800 and rebinning---9600dpi scanning is a complete waste of time and disk space!). 

For film scanners, the Nikons are very good, but pricey (especially the ones which support medium format -- the 8000 [firewire only] runs about £1000 while the 9000 can be twice that). From the Coolscan V onward they claim 4000dpi and actually achieve it.

If you want something capable of film and paper scanning then some of the recent  Epsons or the Canon 9000F are probably the best bet if you don't want to spend a fortune, and don't need 4000dpi film scanning.

• Like 1

Thanks James.

Just to clarify; I will be scanning photographic prints, physical photos. While I don't want to spend a fortune (who does) I do want the best possible files to be able to restore the images, some are very old and damaged.

Unfortunately I don't know of any site with good analyses of flatbed scanners (as flatbeds) with data similar to scandig for film scanners. The impression I got when enquiring around about a year ago is that the Canon 9000F is a bit better than the Epson V550, but not as good as the V800 and V850 (but those are a lot more expensive).

It's a pity you are scanning photos and not negs Phil as the Coolscan IV does a fantastic job and produces the best possible quality of scans. If anyone out there is looking to scan their old film then it is sitting on my shelf, doing nothing and available for just the postage.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, kcbrecks said:

It's a pity you are scanning photos and not negs Phil as the Coolscan IV does a fantastic job and produces the best possible quality of scans. If anyone out there is looking to scan their old film then it is sitting on my shelf, doing nothing and available for just the postage.

But only 35mm.