Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

My first real try at HDR

Firstly I'm not convinced that scene required multiple exposures to capture the entire dynamic range, a simple tweak with the shadow/highlight controls would have been sufficient.

The other issue I see is the moment between shots which has produced ghosting.

For me HDR should only ever be used in a way that would be just about impossible to notice if you weren't told it had been utilised and typically only on scenes where the range of brightness levels far exceed the capability of your sensor. There can be arguments put forward for tone mapping as an artistic technique - something I have done when I want a bit of mad drama - but for me HDR should always strive to be invisible. 

I don't think I can advise in this respect, I don't often use the HDR software in PS. All I would say is that those sliders should only be moved gently in ACR. I personally find that leaves are very difficult to do. 

Good on you for trying Chrissy.....

'As you know, I do lots of experimenting and fiddling, to get the results I do......in the New Year, I got into hot water regarding the changes I was making in my post processing.....but, that is the way I learn best.........Through Doing........

My current venture into using Vintage Film Camera Lenses has brought surprising results.....

'Keep at it......I use YouTube tutorials for guidance......watch, absorb, remember, then go do it....

FUJI

Chrissy -  

1) pull the saturation down a little on the first picture.

2) the bridge road surface hasn't really worked in HDR and given the picture a 'grainy' look.

I also think the subject matter isn't really suitable for HDR and I'm not sure it is a picture I would suggest anyone to use as a first go at HDR. Nip into your local church with a tripod and shoot off 3 pictures then have another go?

The original file has detail right across the brightness range so doesn't need extra exposures to then be combined via HDR software. I would say your original post is a tone mapped image and not really true HDR.

Find a scene with a greater brightness range than your sensor can capture and just as importantly greater than can be pulled from a well exposed raw file and then multiple exposure bracketing and HDR software comes into its own. 

A true test would be to post it without saying what you have done and see if anyone spots the file combination - if the HDR process sticks out like a sore thumb it hasn't worked.

I'm not sure you picked the ideal shot for HDR work.

The original looks rather flat, i.e. there isn't an extreme of highs and lows, which is where HDR shines. What you've achieved is a better picture than the original IMO, but it is really a more dramatic version of the 'flatness' - in other words there's a lot more vibrance and colour, but still a flatness of tone across the range.

Why not find a shot where you have strong highlights and shadows and see how that goes when you apply HDR techniques?

But kudos for experimenting!

Archived