Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

A DUO OF MONO

FUJI

Here we go again........another go using my newly learned method of acquiring Street Portraits without hassle..............just approach, pass the time of day as you focus then press the shutter....not an exact science because the camera isn't held at eye level, for screen or viewfinder shooting:

Hope that BP is happy this time! :sofa:

FUJI

THAT FAR AWAY LOOK mono.jpg

THE MAN IN THE HAT mono 1.jpg

*********You need go back and twiddle your calibration as the second batch are miles out - you've lost all the detail in the blacks and the second image had weird purple staining in the highlights********

I'll stick with the first posts. 
The 2nd shot is bang-on - good exposure, nicely processed and pin sharp.
The 1st shot looks weird  - its a bit flat with no proper black point and the eyes have been fiddled beyond natural looking.

Thanks BP.......forthright as always....

This might interest everyone......it proves just how we see all see things differently....

The first two replies on TIPF are opposite in their opinion......my ex pro, club judge mate Rex, said the first pair  were far too bright, for his super-duper calibrated monitor.....on Ephotizine, regarding the man in the hat.....I get nothing but positive comments.

As a well respected guest club judge, my ex pro's comments are deadly honest with no punches pulled............as a result I re-processed them to be less bright to the second version......personally, the pair I like these best.....

My monitor, had just been calibrated......going darker has affected the blacks in the second versions.......purple tint......ah! ha! You have discovered that I use the CS6 Photo Filter, to add a little of the darkest blue, then a touch of darkest purple on layers to add a touch of velvet.....both filters are black in appearance and , applied thinly...... just a personal preference.

I much respect your input Robin, I have always found it to be straight to the point and honest......but thou be-est a little too pernickity in this case methinks..............put your magnifying glass away.

Please remember that these are...on the hoof....shot from the hip, Street Shots.......that post processing and final presentation, is a personal thing.....most of my Street studies are as a result of hours of research into mono Street `portraits from all over the world; these latest, seem to meet the criteria for this genre......There is some truly awful stuff in galleries and in publications, you would have a field day. 

Rex and I recently attended a photo exhibition, by a high flying photographer at the a university of Warwick....we both left, within fifteen minutes, the photographs were so poor....we enjoyed a cup of coffee instead.

Again, I much appreciate your very honest comments, you too, post very creative work on here, I always make an effort to comment, usually flavoured with a bit of banter.

FUJI

22 minutes ago, BillE said:

I hope the these people are sat down Fuji as if they are not and you are shooting from the hip, this could mean you are rather tall! great shots I am with your mate on the first ones being too bright

Thank Bill....

Shooting from the hip?......just a figure of speech really.....I mean just holding the camera, not to my eye or looking into the screen, but pointing it in the general direction of my subject...very hit and miss, great fun...completely unposed expressions.

mind you,mI am six feet one tall, so it could be true if someone was sitting down ;-))

The jury is out......most preferences are for the first pair.

I much appreciate your input.....

'More please folks....this is very interesting.

FUJI

Take a quick look at this:

Your original post has a gap to the left of the histogram (then lack of blacks I mentioned) while the post calibration shot has everything jammed up hard against the left losing detail in the shadows and meaning you now have a gap to the right where you've lost potential highlights.

Levels.jpg

I don't have anecdotal quotes nor do I have ex whatevers I can mention and to be honest its not about personal preferences - I honestly think your calibration is wrong and it is affecting your results. I'm not criticising your photography and I don't want to come across harsh but I do feel there is a problem somewhere and its not helping the work you present.

Archived