Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

CRACKED IT!

FUJI

OK, folks, I've had another go at candid Street Portraiture using the completely new settings and approach I learned recently.

The first two portraits were taken as recommended in the Tutorial (see my recent posts) Camera in Burst Mode; circa 50 mm lens set (I used my 14-45 Kit Lens)

The first examples were taken on the hoof, I was chatting as I approached so my subjects were relaxed, and hardly noticed the camera clicking away.

The last shot is of JACK.......one of the happiest blokes I know; He manages with great humour, a local Charity Shop, this portrait was requested because he was standing under near perfect lighting...so not a Street Portrait.

I have done my best to produce what you all seem to like...here they are... after a tickle or two in PS6, Topaz Filters, with a dash of High Pass sharpening:

FUJI

CURIOUS LOOK mono forum .jpg

IN CONVERSATION mono forum .jpg

PIRATE JACK mono forum.jpg

Number three is excellent - sharp, clean, good blacks and highlights that while a bit hot but don't look out of place. That is how a B&W should look.

Number two is good - but - has some really weird goings on in the background and there are a few patches of oddness on the subject.

Number one - not for me - very very over processed, her yes would give the dead nightmares, not convinced you've hit the focus right and the same weirdness in the background.

Hi, BP,

A rip snorting set of comments sir.....methinks you have been at the julep again.......or_______got you Y fronts in a twist? ?

I must respond

The last shot should be on target, because it was carefully posed, to be under a shop down lighter , both, myself and my subject were standing perfectly still......with the camera, steady and pre-focused.

The others, will look different and edgier, because they were taken as I approached or whilst in animated conversation with my subjects' in the true fashion of Street Photography....edgy, different, arty, just like many of your iPhone studies and photographic experiments, which might lack certain photographic perfection.

Backgrounds.....the only fiddling I did to one is a little cloning to place sky to the left of the white roof which went missing during a drastic straightening ......The gentle  high-pass sharpening was essential with them being RAW Files.

Other than that, I did only what others suggested after my first experimental venture.....added contrast and boosted curves on a couple of flattened layers.

Street photography is edgier and raw, as a result of being on the move, aiming from the hip and taking chances, not an exact sport.....I have proved that I can, take a decent portrait, using flash, lighting and props, but to me, unless it's s family shot is a bit boring.

The two shots you comment upon, I like, because of their edgy, slightly off appearance.....the lady with the fierce eyes is looking like that, because, she was in the middle of directing her husband reversing a car into a parking space. I made a witty comment about her gesturing and shouting.....this is the look I received.....all good fun.

The other, lady, was enjoying a coffee and a sandwich on a bench in town, I shot from the hip, as I got in to animated conversation with her about the weather, then hobbies....no posing or facing, just the burst mode at full tilt.....great fun!

Challenge!

Now, you pop into Sunderland with your camera, to acquire similar Street Portraits......it ain't as easy as it might look....but great fun.

FUJI

Fuji I've absolutely no issue with your style of shooting, it works for you and can definitely produce the results - but - I feel your processing is badly letting down the end result.

Have a look at the background in shot two - the tones have fractured producing pronounced stepping to the graduations. 
The background in shot one is the same to a lesser degree though the main problem is the over processing to her eyes - not her expression as thats just her at the moment of capture - which is entirely unnatural and for me ruins the image. Her hair also has an odd look to it which is not in keeping with the lower part of the shot which had good blacks, a full range of tones and good clarity.

Raw files need three types of sharpening (usually only two) to get a sharp final result.
The first is Capture Sharpening - this is done globally by your raw software and it very, very rarely needs to be altered as it is there simply to remove any bayer pattern interpolation or AA filter compensation if the camera has one. 
The second is Creative Sharpening - this is a sometimes process (in your case the high pass) which can be applied to selective areas to enhance them but is very subjective in both its use and the degree to which it is used. It isn't a do or do not it is very much an individual photographers preference. A correctly focussed file taken with a good lens typically doesn't need this stage though it is used in high end studio work to bring out the eyes etc.
The third is Output Sharpeing - this is done once the file has been resized and again its a global process like capture sharpening. It is very variable and there are no hard and fast rules. For example a large print on matt paper will need a different degree of sharpening to a print on gloss paper. For web use it typically needs to be applied to remove the softening introduced when the file is down sampled. Again this is subjective depending on individual tastes, the subject, camera, re-sizing etc.

Like em, no issue with sharpening I can see on my monitor, but they all look a bit bright (could be monitor, not calibrated for a couple of weeks) Good advice from BP re sharpening. Holding down the alt key when moving the slider for sharpening in acr and lr gives you a view of whats happening. (same with exposure, highlights etc) I find adding too much contrast can give too much sharpening and am always careful with that slider

10 hours ago, BillE said:

Like em, no issue with sharpening I can see on my monitor, but they all look a bit bright (could be monitor, not calibrated for a couple of weeks) Good advice from BP re sharpening. Holding down the alt key when moving the slider for sharpening in acr and lr gives you a view of whats happening. (same with exposure, highlights etc) I find adding too much contrast can give too much sharpening and am always careful with that slider

It's not actually sharpening, it's the ILLUSION of sharpening, as both things are applied to the edges of tonal areas (generally). It was very noticeable during camera reviews of certain Russian lenses in the 70s and 80s (think Zenit, Zorki, Praktica, etc) - they'd score no higher than average for actual lens resolution, but often had high contrast which gave pictures shot with them a feeling of strong sharpness. In the digital era, some sharpening algorithms are no more than increasing edge contrast.

Archived