Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Noojee Trestle Bridge

Brian

One of the reasons we went away in the 'van last weekend, was to visit this trestle bridge.

It is the tallest Trestle Bridge remaining in Victoria. Between about 1880 and the First World War there were hundreds of this type of bridge built in Victoria. Many of them were to transport timber for the Goldfields. As most of the Goldfields were in remote areas, the only fuel for the steam boilers of the mining machinery was wood and the most economic means of hauling this was by narrow gauge railways. There are still many of them in existence but this is probably one of the best preserved examples in Victoria. Some of these wooden trestles still have trains running on them.

IMG_9621.jpg

43 minutes ago, Clicker said:

Good grief Brian ...is that the original wood ? Lovely pic by the way ....shows  it off a treat.

Yes, Polly, much of this is original, but.............on 13th Jan 1939, "Black Saturday" over 2 million hectares of Victoria went up in flames. Much of the forested areas were unaccessable and therefor left to burn. All around this area burned along with many towns and sawmills with the loss of nearly 100 lives. Much of this bridge burned but was later restored as it was needed to carry freight and passengers as well as the much needed timber for the rebuilding.

Once a fire gets that big, it's difficult to see how it can be stopped....I suppose building firebreaks isn't always practicable given the vast areas that would need to be covered...  But then I suppose   even  they can be traversed with burning debris carried on the winds .   It's good to see it being preserved though ... Thanks for a little bit of history too  Brian ... 

On 2/2/2016 at 20:09, Clicker said:

Once a fire gets that big, it's difficult to see how it can be stopped....I suppose building firebreaks isn't always practicable given the vast areas that would need to be covered...  But then I suppose   even  they can be traversed with burning debris carried on the winds .  

We had very bad fires about 5 years ago and it was said (officially) that burning branches an inch thick were landing up to 30kms in front of the actual fire front. Even I find that hard to believe, but it came from the Fire Authority.

Archived