Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Nikon D5

Firstly........I know nothing about Nikons.

But, I was intrigued by the talk of 3 million ISO on the general chit chat forum and just couldn't believe it. First I Googled it and found a site that did indeed say it had a 3 million ISO. Still didn't believe it, so went to the Nikon site. This is still an impressive ISO but not 3 mil, unless you can bump it up in some way. But why would you need it that high?

NikonD5.jpg

Edited by Brian

First it does have an iso over 3 million - 3.280.000 to be exact but it is an extended iso not a standard one.

Why does it have this?
Well if you are trying to take a picture because you need to pay the mortgage next month then any help you can get it worth having.
Will the quality be good - no.
Will it give you one more tool when you are pushing the very boundaries of what is possible (the entire point of a flagship body) - yes.

I suspect for everyone here we don't need 3m ISO nor would we be happy with the output as we are hobbyist and our images are taken for fun but if you are in the middle of nowhere, its dark, you're cold, its raining and you need to get a shot no matter what then the D5 will be top of your wish list.

• Like 2

I will admit to shedding a tear when the D500 pooped up, two months after i dumped all my Nikon gear as I was sick of waiting for a decent D300s replacement but I don't miss the massive weight and I'm loving the tactile quality of the Fuji so I'm not disappointed in the move i made.

10 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

I will admit to shedding a tear when the D500 pooped up, two months after i dumped all my Nikon gear as I was sick of waiting for a decent D300s replacement but I don't miss the massive weight and I'm loving the tactile quality of the Fuji so I'm not disappointed in the move i made.

Life is full of little ironies like this. But it all works out in the end....................but at 3mil. ISO the "noise" would be deafening!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like both the D5 and D500 but will have to stick with my D750 or the time being ......

But consider where we were just, say, ten years ago with DSLRs, with some people saying they'll never produce the standard of pictures as could be done on a film camera.  And look where we are now - even an iPhone camera takes better pictures that what we had back then.

Only 15 years back, my first digital camera had 1mp and now I have 24mp, which is small fry compared to the top range Nikons and Canons (I know that measurement isn't the be all and end all, but for comparisons sake).  My longest lens is an old Tokina F5.6 210mm, but I can still photograph distant things - tigers, the Vulcan, for example - and be able to crop and still get a decent picture, albeit perhaps not so good as my friends with their fancy 400 and 600mm lenses.

So although 3m ISO isn't usable except in extremis now, it will probably be accepted as normal a few years down the line.  Such is progress  :-)

Just my two-pennyworth  :-)