Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Wireless Flash Trigger from China

Hi, Folks,

During the past year, I have successfully ordered and had delivered quite a few bits and prices direct from Chinese eBay sellers..........because of excellent eBay and PayPal security and rules, I have received excellent service each time......from bits and bobs for my wood turning plus a few Photographic Accessories.

The Speedlight works well, as do the pair of small but very powerful Photo Lamps.......

........Over Christmas I became frustrated at having to fire my on-Camera flash in order to fire the Speedlight off camera.......Last night I ordered a dedicated SONY Alpha Wireless Trigger set selling for circa £20 including P&P.

I will post a review as and when they arrive and I've had chance to familiarise myself with it.

FUJI

You can usually get low value goods in from outside the EU by post without paying import charges and VAT. The usual ruse those firms abroad often use is to mark them as "gift", but Customs are getting wise to that, particularly for the more expensive items like lenses and cameras. Here is Customs and Excise information on gifts through the post from outside the EU:-

"Are there import charges on gifts?

In summary gifts up to €45 correctly declared, sent from a private person outside of the E.U. to another private person within the E.U. with no commercial intent and which are of an occasional nature, such as a birthday or anniversary, are allowed relief from payment of Customs Duty and VAT."

Strangely enough I believe you can actually bring in items to an even greater value in your luggage from outside the EU Duty Free. I suppose it is hard for them to tell if you took a laptop or camera and lenses, I-phone etc out with you and then brought them back, or purchased them abroad?

DaveW

These days much of the camera brand name stuff is made there anyway, gone are the days when everything branded Canon or Nikon was made in Japan. Labour in Japan, like the UK and America, is often now too expensive to produce competitive consumer goods. Many years ago quality camera stuff was produced in Germany, Canon and Nikon being considered cheap Asian imports compared to say a German Exacta SLR, which was about twice the price of the original Nikon F. Eventually the Chinese will bump up their labour costs and become uncompetitive too and production will again move to another third world country, by that time the third world country may be Britain! :laughing: What goes around comes around!

My "grey import" Nikon 60mm Micro Nikkor originally came from a London Camera dealer about 5 years ago now. It was obviously imported from abroad and cheaper than through regular channels. You maybe don't get the makers guarantee but the firms usually give you a similar guarantee since a lens is nothing to them. If one proves faulty they just swap it for another rather than repair. All most guarantees cover you for is the initial period, probably a year, when the equipment is least likely to go wrong, now a lifetime guarantee would be worth having!

That's what gets me with additional guarantees many shops try and sell you, they usually just overide the makers guarantee so if it goes wrong in the first year the shop gets it's repairers to try and put it right. Sorry but if it goes wrong during a makers guarantee period I would sooner the makers put it right, not an independent repairer. If I am buying an additional guarantee I want it to follow on from the makers guarantee that I have already paid for in the cost of the goods, not to duplicate it at extra cost!

DaveW

Edited by DaveW