Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Street Photography

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not...!

If I am out and about and I take some photos in a high street or whatever and there are people who obviously recognisable in those shots, what's the deal with me then taking those shots and posting them on a forum. Is it a problem...?

(Told you it was a stupid question!)

legally if you take a photo in a public place everything is fair game to photograph. you can post the pictures wherever you like even if they contain faces, car reg no's or private buildings. If you decide to sell the image then certain buildings are covered by copyright (tower of london big ben etc) and you can't technically sell the images for commercial purposes.  If you try to sell an image with faces in via a stock photography site they will demand a model release but legally this is only needed if you are using the image in a way that may indicate the person(s) in the image are promoting / support something. So if you take an image of me and use it in a car ad or on a political poster you would be in trouble without a model release as I may not want to promote that car or be seen to support that political party

Ah ha, I see. Thank you very much all. As I'm not planning on selling anything - (and no one would be more surprised than me if I actually sold anything anyway!) - I guess that means that Phon's adventures in street photography can continue apace!

Cheers all. :)

• Like 1

Hi, Phon,

As long as you are in a public place, you can photograph whatever and who ever you like, with no restrictions........there are obvious Common Sense rules.........you don't photograph children, or anyone in obvious distress .......nor would you record the gory aftermath of an accident.......etc.

It is considered impolite and creepy to use a long lens, or to hide, or wear a hoody, don't be sneaky-peaky......be totally open about what you are doing, use a relatively short lens, so you are forced to get up close.

Sreet portraits are a slightly different kettle of fish......you can go for Candids......I do quite often,because they can be the life and soul of the Genre.........but for the more formal portrait, I always politely request permission, if I get a negative response, I thank them then leave.

If they agree, I spend my first half minute chatting as I check my camera, thIS gives them time to remove the usual amused smirk or stiff pose they present you with......Dont faff about with moving them around or using flash, just do your best to move yourself to get best background and lighting......not easy but comes with practice.

You don't require a ...Model Release.....if you don't intend to make a profit, from your pics.......but....if your pics go for exhibition, the organisers may insist on them just to cover themselves......personally I find this inhibiting .....Street Photography....is a long time photographic tradition........look back at current and past masters, hardly any ran after subjects waving bits of paper.

All of my street portrait subjects receive my card which, besides my contact details, contains information regarding my ongoing Street Portrait Project, the offer of FREE prints or Digital Copies, do do with as they wish, plus the rider that I retain the right to exhibit and to put my work online, in exhibitions or in a future book.

This together with the ( obvious) permission to shoot is enough in my opinion........I over six years of practicing Street Photography I have been refused very few times.....welcomed after initial doubts by most......with only one ( very recent) permission, as long as it doesn't go online......I agreed, but won't use that portrait.

I find it amazing, that photographers travel to India, Africa etc, and return with files filled with faces, that they quite happily do what they like with.......

So, there you have it.....

My other advise would be to look at the many Street Photography presentations available on YouTube......and....abide by the rules of wherever you happen to be.

Members here know that I got hassled out of Coventry City Centre by security Guards two years ago.......it seems that you can shoot what and where you like on a mobile, but have a camera with a lens and you become a pariah.....haven't been back since.

The best shooting can be had in Tourist areas where many visitors carry all kinds of cameras......just merge and enjoy.

I say......GO FOR IT!

FUJI

• Like 1

For those, like me, who are totally uncomfortable with the idea of approaching people and asking if you can take their photo (some of just can't do it), then it's perfectly in order to be 'clandestine', for example use your flip screen if you have one, look in the opposite direction and just click and hope, etc etc. That is, in fact, one of the time-honoured approaches to street photography and SP websites are full of shots at crazy angles where the photographer was actually looking away when shooting. It's perfectly allowed.

I would just add to that, that if someone spots you and challenges you, then you have to be open, show your picture, explain/apologise and offer to delete it there and then if necessary.

Edited by ChrisLumix

Take a copy of the met police Web page on rules re photography in case you're challenged by a policeman. I have a copy in the bag. Don't be awkward with them, I always answer their questions and try to strike up a conversation with them, most horror stories you read about interaction with the police involve the person refusing to identify themselves out of some silly principle.

Having a card with your contact info you can hand out to people you photograph can help, especially if it has a link to your site, you can offer them a copy of the photo!

I've heard of an app called easy release before as well which allows an easy way to obtain a release, although I've not looked at it.

It is considered impolite and creepy to use a long lens, or to hide, or wear a hoody, don't be sneaky-peaky......be totally open about what you are doing, use a relatively short lens, so you are forced to get up close.

if you are doing street portraits then yes be upfront and ask permission, street photography is the art of capturing people without their knowledge  so you get them just going about their business completely unaware of the fact they are being photographed so I don't believe it is either impolite or creepy to use a long lens or be covert in what you are doing

Hi, Richard,

I agree with you entirely.........Nowhere do I say that you can't or shouldn't take Candids, I have taken many myself and would encourage others to do so.....it is the very heart of the genre.

What I am advising is not to be creepy about it by sneaking about, hiding in bushes, wearing a Camouflage gear etc , that way, you are little more than a Peeping Tom, who might make someone feel very vunerable..... Just wear your every day gear, have your camera there for every one to see.

I often shoot from the hip, or by using my flip screen to get shots similar to those of the celebrated Vivienne Maier, they have the potential to capture the very best that good Street Photogaphy can offer.....

Here is one if my favourites taken like this.....none of my subjects were aware of my presence, but I stood openly in front of them, with camera clearly visible.....

Speed is of the essence, or you miss the shot.

FUJI

post-4-0-60369200-1428492483.jpg

• Like 1

Seems to me that his you go about it is basically dependent on the context in which you're doing it.

I've taken pictures of streets with people in without batting an eyelid, but my intent is different and that gave me pause for thought, hence the question.

As I said, all good advice and as usual I've come away with plenty of information and having learned some stuff.

Oh and Fuji, that's a cracking shot! :)

I post this Candid shot from when I was very inexperienced in Street Photography........a very beautiful and passable Street Portrait......Yes?

Not really......Why?.......because I shot it from thirty or more metres away, using a newly acquired 400 mm Mirror lens.......

My subject was totally unaware that she was being photographed, but I wasn't hiding, I was in full view with a very large lens........nowadays, I wouldn't even think of taking a long shot like this......I much prefer to make actual contact with my subjects after getting permission.

This then, is an example of me being a bit.....Sneaky Peaky.........my only defence is that I was learning at the time.

FUJI

post-4-0-19440600-1428514424.jpg

Edited by FUJI

Thats a beautiful shot fuji and the expression on her face is most likely only possible with a big lens from a distance because she is totally immersed in what she is doing and totally unaware of the camera thats the art of street photography as opposed to street portraiture where you get a pose

Again......I agree Richard........ But almost certainly I wouldn't be able to exhibit this, because I didn't get a ....Model Release........I think I might get myself into hot water chasing pretty young girls around waving a peice of paper?

And she might not have been very happy to realise that I had snuck a close up of her from over thirty yards away?

That is for the...PAPARAZZI surely?

( I still love this study, because of the merits you mention)

Realistically........all forms of Street Photigraphy are legitimate........I guess it is all down to what a photographer feels comfortable with?

Look at the presentations on YouTube and you will see at least one American Street Photographer using an off camera flash.........another lays in wait for passer's-by .....then accosts them to stand in front of his prepared White or black, studio type paper background.

I prefer two methods......Candids taken through a medium to short lens, so I need to get close but unnoticed.....as in my first shot in this post.......or....

My practised method of requesting Portraits from complete strangers..........look back through my posts and you will see few deliberate poses..........I only use ambient light......so it can be Pot Luck.

FUJI