Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Silver-washed Fritillary (female).

JohnP

This is the unusual Valezina form of the female.  Typically only a few percent of the females in a colony are of this form, and at one time they were confined to the southern coastal counties of Dorset, Hampshire and West Sussex.  In recent years however, the Valezina form appears to have been spreading further northwards though, whether this is purely the result of natural expansion, or has been influenced by the deliberate release of captive-bred butterflies, is unclear. I took these shots in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Polly...I have only ever seen two, both in the Forest of Dean within a few days of each other, I wondered what it was. The dark markings looked like a Silver-washed Fritillary but the background colour should be a lightish orange. I sent photos and grid references to the Butterfly Conservation folks and they confirmed they were both Valezinas and none had ever been reported in the Forest of Dean before. ...I was very lucky I reckon!

How very observant of you to find them John .....fascinating story ... so are these the two that you saw ... I thought it was photos of the same butterfly at first but the colouring on the first two pics looks different...  it may be because they are both on the same variety of plant that I have presumed that ... I’ve never heard of Valezinas before either ... gosh you really do know your butterflies don’t you ... your butterfly gallery certainly shows that ...

1 hour ago, Clicker said:

How very observant of you to find them John .....fascinating story ... so are these the two that you saw ... I thought it was photos of the same butterfly at first but the colouring on the first two pics looks different...  it may be because they are both on the same variety of plant that I have presumed that ... I’ve never heard of Valezinas before either ... gosh you really do know your butterflies don’t you ... your butterfly gallery certainly shows that ...

The first two shots show the same butterfly but on two different thistles a few feet apart, the lighting is different in each shot so that changed the colouring. The last shot is a different butterfly taken a few days later about 100yards from where I took the first two shots, it was nice to see the under wing colours.

25 minutes ago, Clicker said:

Ah that explains it ... I have to say the underwing colours are  exquisite. Butterflies really are  Nature's  works of art from start to finish aren't they ....

You have probably gathered by now ... I Love them!

Archived