Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Sun's glare on fixed webcam - filter?

First (and probably only) post, I'm not into photography but wonder if members of this forum can advise.

I have a fixed Mobotix ip camera giving a wide scenic/panoramic view and facing west to the sunset.  The original plastic lens cover went opaque/brown in the climate and I have purchased an expensive replacement that has a glass front - on arrival it transpires to have a 39mm internal thread.

Is there a filter that I could fit to cut the glare of the sun?

post-1192-0-65368300-1424806525.jpg

You can't get rid of it altogether, the sun is incredibly powerful lol. But a polariser filter would help cut down glare, as would reducing the exposure time if you are able to. You can buy filters in all thread sizes these days, I'm sure 39mm wouldn't be a problem? (Someone here will know...)

Hi, I have circular polarisers for my camera and it does help.

A photographer friend told me to under-expose around two full stops and since doing this my sunsets have been much better.

I hope it won't be your last post as it would be good to see how you get on.

Edited by NannyFerret

Thanks Lumix & NannyFerret, I have ordered a circular polarising filter and will fit it on my next trip to the camera location at the end of March.  I'll endeavour to capture a similar image then with which to compare.

Longman, these are not captured images that need doctoring, I simply wish to improve the live image viewed remotely.  I'm a bit late posting but here's tonight's:

post-1192-0-22109800-1424890928.jpg

Paul

Thank you, Black Pearl.  I suppose that I did suspect that shining the sun directly onto the lens was not going to create a good image, but as you are a pro giving a pro answer ("shots") that is not the point.

Hello, Root.  

As intimated I am not into photography but came here asking about a filter, having discovered that my new lens cover is equipped with a 39mm thread.

This hi-res (3 megapixel) Mobotix IP unit is mounted on the roof of a 'holiday' home to show the same view as we have when we are there.  Its purpose is to show us what we are missing when it's cold and wet in UK,

the image will go to a very large full screen when controlled online. 

We use it to look, see, and compare on a web page, the bleak outlook from our (similar) home camera, which shows our garden, the field beyond and the British weather, from wherever we are.  

There is so much sky because it is currently fitted with a lens that gives a 90° horizontal angle of view. 

I do have other lenses for it but haven't got around to trying them - the centre of the view is actually of the island of La Gomera, seen from about 15 miles / 20km away, but more importantly, the sunset, west.  

It is interesting that the sun sets, in January, to the left (south) of the image shown, but in July, well to the (north) right, in relation to the island.

It is not used as a security camera, because if it was located to view occupied or accessible aspects of our property, it would be an invasion on our guests staying there, and our daughter sunbathing topless!  

So in actual fact it is located in a position that it is not visible by any visiting occupant, nor would any normal visitor know how to climb up over next door's property in order to access it!

______

Paul

As intimated I am not into photography but came here asking about a filter, having discovered that my new lens cover is equipped with a 39mm thread.

Again a filter won't help.

If you put a dark filter on it will simply limit the shots in lower light condition so you (possibly) fix one issue while creating another.

Coloured filters will just colour the images.

A UV/Skylight won't do a thing as digital systems aren't sensitive to UV light.

A polariser will help as its dark....but see above.

Sorry but there is nothing you can do that will stop a low res, simple, but good, camera from over exposing when you point it directly at the sun.

Think it through logically - your eyes with millions of years worth of evolution can't cope if you look directly into the sun so a webcam has no chance.

Can I ask what the purpose of the camera is, why are you looking at so much sky?

To clarify, the blob in the centre is actually a neighbouring island under a bank of cloud at the time of the image.

Which is most of the time.

You are looking at the island of La Gomera viewed from the west coast of Tenerife.

It's a lovely view if you're there, warm, see whales and dolphins through binoculars from the balcony....  though not on this camera!