Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Experiment

Graham

OK, I know these are not good pictures so please bear with me.

This type of photography is something I have never really tried.  OK, I have stuck the camera through the kitchen winder a few times but never in the hope of getting anything and I was right.

However, after trying out my Yongnuo flash triggers as radio shutter triggers (i didn't even know you could do that until yesterday) I decided to see if they worked.  Oh yes, they do.

So, badly placed feeders, camera outside on tripod, all in shade against a bad background, I knew there was no hope.  But, no matter how poor these cropped and soft images are, they have sparked an interest in setting it up correctly to make decent shots a possibility.

So, with repeated apologies for the image quality, I show you the conception of an idea in the hope that others may try something new this weekend too.

15734158633_544a9d8a68_o.jpg

16168246197_c63a11ea77_o.jpg

16352377751_f24bb73980_o.jpg

16352377851_2811f9ae9f_o.jpg

16353240982_ce7f7c3dae_o.jpg

You seem to have done fine Graham,I used to do it like that with a air bulb shutter release years ago. Now with improved iso and image stabilization  I just shoot through the living room window handheld. :)

You seem to have done fine Graham,I used to do it like that with a air bulb shutter release years ago. Now with improved iso and image stabilization  I just shoot through the living room window handheld. :)

Sadly the environment around the garden does not allow for comfort shooting lol. I have just spent a couple of hours ironing (it has to be done) giving some thought to how I want to do this. What I have come up with, in my mind, is a bird 'studio'. What I want to try and create is a more natural looking setting where birds are attracted to and can feed but without feeders.

My idea so far, and please jump on me if I am getting this wrong, is to get some logs and position them in an area that will give me a natural and constant background. Into these logs I propose to drill some large diameter holes into which I can put food (I am thinking fat ball type material) so that the birds can land on the logs and feed but the food will not be seen from the camera angle.

Into this 'studio' I will introduce a structure or hide of some kind into which I can place the camera on a stand and, possibly, a flash unit. Once set up, I will be able to retreat and radio trigger the camera and flash from within the house or summer house depending on how warm it is......

I can then remove photography equipment, but leaving the hide, so that the birds stay happy with the environment and I don't have to wait for them to get used to the camera being there each time. I know, from this mornings experiment, that the camera put them off as there were far more birds feeding before I set the camera up and after I took it away than when it was there.

OK, I may be over thinking this but developing styles of photography that I can do at home is very important to me so I am more than prepared to put the effort in.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done something similar if they are prepared to share their ideas.

They look well good...

I do sneaky shots of the birds through the kitchen window when it's too cold to go outside. 

I make my own fat mix for stuffing in holes and half coconut shells..just melted lard mixed with sultana's and dried mealworms. The birds love it...

Archived