Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Tarn Hows

JamWheel

Sorry I haven't been very active for a while but I have been on a holiday in the Lake District.

I hired an EF 16-35mm f/2.8 MkII for the two weeks to try my hand at some landscape stuff which I am not very good at. This probably did some good things for my fitness as carrying around a camera bag with a couple of lenses, body and my tripod proved a great challenge whilst staggering up fells! This was my first time in the Lake District and I will definitely be going back for more - what wonderful landscape! I suppose it helped that we had mostly wonderful weather!

Anyway, this is a shot I took at Tarn Hows - I can't get over how clear the water was. What do you think? Thoughts on what I have done wrong or could have done better would be very useful for me.

Surprisingly, I found the lens frustrating - it is soft around the edges at 16mm at most apertures! I won't be buying one, although I suspect this is a common issue with lenses this wide on a full frame body - thoughts on this would be useful too. The below was taken at 16mm with f/11.

15440501082_c1c7a9eeeb_b.jpg

Click image to view large

Tarn Hows by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

One of my favourite spots in one of my favourite places on earth.

I can see what you were trying to get with the shot and have taken many similar ones myself - it has a similar issue to many of mine in that there is a separation between the rocks and the surroundings making it almost look like tow images. 

A cheat might be to use Photoshops 'Content Aware Scale' to shove the two elements closer - mono might be good too.

Although very well taken I agree with BP maybe a simple edit would be to crop the sky back to the tree line?

I think you may have something there? Although I think it's a good strong shot anyway, I can see two other pictures within it:

1) From the top down to just short of the larger rock

2) From the tree line down to the bottom.

I really like it. Nice BIG foreground attraction in the rock. Had the reflection above the rock not been there I would have said get the camera lower to cut the middle area but the sky in the water gives plenty to look at. I guess the only slight detraction is the distortion with the trees leaning out at the top of frame. Might be just me mind you? But its a lovely image.

Thanks for the kind and insightful comments everyone. I will have a go playing around with the different crop suggestions - but now it has been mentioned, at least the top of the image would make a landscape format image of its own.

The trees leaning is after corrections for the distortion - I really am disappointed with the lens, or in my skills with it - does anyone else have similar issues with lenses this wide? On a crop body I imagine the distortion will be cropped out and not an issue.

The trees leaning is after corrections for the distortion - I really am disappointed with the lens, or in my skills with it - does anyone else have similar issues with lenses this wide? On a crop body I imagine the distortion will be cropped out and not an issue.

I saw your lips move James, but I have NO idea what you're talking about!!

I saw your lips move James, but I have NO idea what you're talking about!!

On a body with a cropped sensor (APS-C or APS-H for example) you lose the edges of the image which are retained on a full frame sensor - as a result, the distortions only seen at the very edges of the image will be absent as they are cropped out by smaller sensors. Any better? :) Sorry, I explain things terribly at times!

(In reply to James - I got leapfrogged):

A full frame sensor is the size and dimensions of 35mm film, yes? So whenever an aspect ratio that is not 3:2 is used, there must be some cropping, is that what you're saying? This interests me, because I'm interested in getting a Lumix LX100 - part of the discussion is that although it contains a 4/3 sensor, it never uses the full 16MP because it offers 4 aspect ratios that all crop to the sensor's 'sweet spot' while offering the same field of view. I understand the diagrams better than the techie talk, TBH, but that's effectively what you're talking about, right?

This site has a good visual explanation of what I mean: http://www.cplc.ca/blog/should-i-buy-a-full-frame-camera/

Scroll to the third image on this link. The distorted non-sharp elements at the edge of the full frame shot, with the same lens on a cropped sensor are effectively cropped out. You can't get as wide as 16mm (or whatever the lens is as the focal length be 'effectively' longer - APS-C makes a 16mm 'effectively' 25.6mm as the sensor can only see the view that  a 25.6mm lens would have on a full frame body.

Do you have a landscape version?

Sadly not, Phil.

This site has a good visual explanation of what I mean: http://www.cplc.ca/blog/should-i-buy-a-full-frame-camera/

Scroll to the third image on this link. The distorted non-sharp elements at the edge of the full frame shot, with the same lens on a cropped sensor are effectively cropped out. You can't get as wide as 16mm (or whatever the lens is as the focal length be 'effectively' longer - APS-C makes a 16mm 'effectively' 25.6mm as the sensor can only see the view that  a 25.6mm lens would have on a full frame body.

Thanks for that James - I understand better now. 

I was never a DSLR owner (went straight from SLR system to being 'disabled with a superzoom') so I never had to learn all that. Interestingly, he says DSLR full-frame owners often carry a point-&-shoot as a 2nd camera? I'd say these days - I don't know when that article was written - it's equally likely that someone might buy direct into a mirrorless system, and carry a high-end 'enthusiast's' pocket camera, like a Fuji X100 or Lumix LX7, as their 2nd.

To be honest, after seeing that B&H video Fuji posted, from a professional photographer who used mirrorless, I've not even been tempted to go down the DSLR route. Back when I had an 35mm SLR, everything was "full format" but we'd be lucky to get a decent print much bigger than 10x8". (I don't print now).

That's why I'm thinking of upgrading from a superzoom (1/2.3" - who came up with these crazy fractions??) to a 4/3" which will have a sensor 10 times the area, even if it's only a quarter the area of full frame. The best results I've seen from 4/3 are only fractionally less good than those from full frame, so I guess the difference in quality as you 'go larger' is a gently flattening curve.

Archived