Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Black Backgrounds

Guest DaveW

Black backgrounds you either like or loath them. They can be handy though for macro work, table top photography, or portraiture etc, particularly with available light where there is no flash fall off to produce them, and I note Jeremy used them in his bulb and balloon busting shots.

A year or so ago I searched the Web for black cotton velvet, the best substance to provide a black background behind my plants when photographing them. All I could find then was velvet made from synthetic thread which has more of a shine on it than cotton so does not provide as good a light killing background. Looking again recently I now find EBAY has loads of it, therefore you wonder why it seems to randomly appear and disappear from time to time? Here's a link if anybody wants some.

http://www.ebay.co.u... ... &_from=R40

I use it to get a black background for macro shots of my plants for projection at our branch meetings like this:-

post-22-0-75619400-1353059624_thumb.jpg

DaveW

for me black backgrounds often seem to make the subject edges look harsh, but I guess having backgrounds of various colours gets a little expensive and complicated, but if i could I think I would look to make the background suit the subject?

plant.jpg

Edited by colinb

How sharp the edges are on the background is simply down to the amount of sharpening applied to the image I think Colin? When used in a digital projector sharp edges do give a bit of a 3D effect on a black background on the projection screen, and viewing the plant in real life the petal edges are that sharp.

These type of shots are intended as record shots in the society I am in, rather than as with photo societies competitions taken for effect rather than reality. I can't detect a significant difference in the petal sharpness of your reworked image on my screen other than the background now has a slightly "muddy" tint. You can with a solid colour background alter the colour to anything you want in post processing without the need to buy additional backgrounds. This is the same image that I have just now changed the black background colour with one click of the Paint Bucket in Photoshop Elements. Any background colour or shade you want with a single click of the mouse button!:-

post-22-0-70024100-1353146377_thumb.jpg

The advantage of either black or gray backgrounds is they are neutral and seldom conflict with the colours in the plant, so you do not get tonal mergers (though in the case of cacti blue would be OK as they have no blue flowers or spines). One thing that does drive viewers mad according to the research we did among our members for slide shows is people constantly changing background colours or text styles and colours slide to slide, or using numerous different fades. The majority of viewers preferred a single type of slide fade per lecture and a constant typeface title text and colour per slide.

Not found the white spot Steve, where is it?

DaveW