Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Camera pixel count

Slightly tongue in cheek I ask why there has been a megapixel race?

My IPad has a resolution of about 2000 x 1500 pixels and monitors usually fewer and laptop screens lower again. Projectors for camera club comps are, I think, about 1400 x 1000 pixels. So no more than 3MP needed

Few people seem to print pictures and then at no

more than A4 so pixels needed at 240ppi is about 5MP.

It would seem that 6MP is about the maximum that most people could possibly need so why the race to sell 20MP cameras? Should I be suspicious that it is just the market being persuaded to buy what it does not need - rather like 150 MPH motorbikes and cars.

Just musing while pretty much confined to quarters - can't drive or lift camera to eye level following op and doing physio 4 times a day! Oh, and my nice Tamron SP 70-300 lens is still at the repair shop.

Cheers

Jeff

Slightly tongue in cheek I ask why there has been a megapixel race?

Interesting question and it does come down to a number of factors.

On a personal basis, I use a 21Mp camera that lets me print at A0 if I really want to (I've used that for posters) without any problem.

The other main thing is that it allows me to crop-zoom if I can't get close enough to a subject and still have enough left to get a decent print. I occasionally break this but generally if it wouldn't print at A4 I don't keep it.

More generally, I would agree that the megapixel race is all about headline grabbing, few people will ever use the capability or capacity of a monster, but it sounds good. My first DSLR was 6Mp which gave good A3-A4 prints, my current phone has a 13Mp camera, but i've never even thought about printing from it.

Conversely, the larger the count, there tends to be a lower frame rate/buffer size which a number of people have said to me is of more consequence when they were choosing.

• Like 1