Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

D800 rep[lacement ;)

So we can expect the new D800s (ish) in June/July, only again as with the D4s, just a "few" small upgrades.

And if to be believed the D9000 or 9xxx in September the long awaited D300/s replacement.

But as I said, and as stated on many a website like Nikon Rumors, "small" upgrades, so have DSLR manufacturers finally met a brick wall in what to offer.

Do we no longer want 100Mp sensors, 10-1000mm zooms, 20fps.

I was going to get a D4s, but have over a month, and having tried one out decided that all it would be to me would be snob appeal, and not worth the cost.

I would get a D300s replacement IF it had 8fps and a larger sensor say D7100 ish, but it appears innovations are now few and far between.

And yet another boring 50mm lens

http://nikonrumors.com/

• Like 1

If the D9300 is about to launch it isn't going to be an incremental release like a D300 to D300s or the D3 to D3s it is going to offer a significant increase in quality - something that many birders (myself also for that matter) have been wanting for a while.

Expect a big increase in pixels (not a bigger sensor though as it will still be a DX) along with much better control at high iso's, an increased DR and Full HD.

It might go from 7fps to 8fps but that is only useful if the buffer is big enough to let you use that speed - the sticking point for many with the D7100 which has a useless buffer capacity - and as I mentioned above you can get that out of a D300s already.

Other than that there doesn't need to be big differences in the body as the D300s is already a pro machine with all the expected pro features. 

We have reached a point where newer bodies (one's that follow on) are going to see small jumps in performance as the current ones offer just about anything users need. There will always be moaners, dpreview is full of them, but they just need to get out and take pictures instead of sitting photographing test charts and pixel peeping. 

When it comes to bodies like the D4s then those that say it isn't worth it simply don't need it.

It is a full sized pro body aimed at a very specific set of users. Users who need the incredible speed, rely on the incredible AF and who use ISO performance to get a shot where it otherwise wouldn't be possible. If that isn't you then Nikon make a D800 and to some expert the Df.

I use sandisk extreme pro cards and have as yet not found a problem with the buffer of the D7100, except on rare occasions

I prefer the better weather sealing on the D7100 over the two D7000s I also have

So it will either be the D300s replacements in September or I will get a 1Dx

The D7100 shooting RAW can only manage up to 9 shots at 6fps before the buffer is full.

The D300s shooting RAW can keep going at 7fps for up to 20 shots. Thats a big difference and one that annoys the hell out of people who have switched to the D7100 until the (up until recently mythical) D9300 arrives.

Another point is the D7100 has a sensor with 24.1 million pixels while the sensor in the D300s (only) has 12.3 yet the file sizes are very close so it can't be argued that is it recording more information to the card. This is because ONLY the pro bodes will record an uncompressed RAW file while all of the amateur bodies are limited to compressed RAW....The D300s can directly record TIFF files too which gives it a little extra scope.

I use sandisk extreme pro cards and have as yet not found a problem with the buffer of the D7100, except on rare occasions

I am looking for a card like this,.. have you got any idea what speed yours is? I find more than one speeds

What camera do you use?

d7100, and I certainly agree on the buffer it is annoying when you try to take photos of a bird diving!

10341690_10152205232161716_4931640711441

every time I see these and I miss the shot, there are more diving while I have to wait for the buffer :(

A really fast card might (might) help the buffer clear but only if the camera can write that fast. The issue is the buffer itself which is tiny, daft really RAM is cheap as chips, so it's still going to stop dead at 6-9 shots depending on bit depth and compression type.

I would search dpreview for recommendations on the card as the weird-beard nerds will have it worked out to the micro second.

• Like 1

People often moan about the buffer capacity and yet are using rubbish cards No one comment on the fact that this is not a "scientific" experiment, no it is REAL life.

Simple test

D7100 tripod, pc and a stopwatch, release shutter at the same time as clicking start, just 2 cards tested, Sandisk 95mbs Extreme pro and a good standard class 10 Sandisk Ultra.

See the number of recorded shots for yourself.

Don't tell me the D7100 buffer is small

a-1.jpg

c-1.jpg

b-1.jpg

Edited by jeremy rundle

Just tested my camera - Nikon D300s - uncompressed 12bit NEF @ 7fps:

Sandisk Extreme CF UDMA 16 GB Card = 17 shots

Unbranded & unrated SD 2GB Card = 17 shots

Because when you are shooting high MB RAW files it is the buffer capacity you are testing not the write speed of the card - yes the basic SD took an age to then write the files whereas the the CF card started clearing the buffer almost immediately meaning I could have then taken another shot but that has nothing what so ever to do with maximum buffer capacities.

JR you were shooting jpegs which might fine in your case but not for the rest of use who use RAW files.

With RAW files the buffer capacity of the D7100 is tiny - Google it and you will see it is one of if not the most major complaint by anyone who uses the camera for shooting bursts.

But when you are shooting JPEG as most people do, in sports, the card IS the important component as shown, I know of no one shooting sports who shoots RAW

I can well understand that. A fraction of a second is everything in motorsport, and if your camera takes 3 times as long to write a RAW as it does a JPEG, you could miss the money shot. Besides, I imagine that a lot of sports photography involves SP mode, fast speeds @ open aperture or close to, high ISOs in good lighting - the need to use RAW to 'rescue' a shot wouldn't come into it, hardly ever?

• Like 1

I have never shot RAW, well ok, tried it, of no use to me, 100 JPGS continuous would also never be used so a good card makes all the difference.

Get a sandisk extreme pro and believe me you will be amazed

I will be getting a few of these :)

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2014/sandisk-announces-world%E2%80%99s-fastest-sd-card/

About £55 each

Edited by jeremy rundle