Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Advice on selling please!

Hi,

I recently took some photos of a friends dog and her son would like them as a birthday present (he seen them online)
How much could I charge , plus do I sell them with or without watermark at the bottom?

here is one of the photos 

13386174634_269f90134c_b_d.jpg

Never even consider watermarking a SALE

By all means put a name/address sticker on the back but watermark !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if I were taking photos of a "friends" dog I would give them away, but that is me

It's not bad but I would not charge, part of the foot is chopped off, and personally I would do it is portrait format

Edited by jeremy rundle
  • Like 1

I do kind of feel guilty charging, but if I start to give free, people do take advantage. I noticed that mainly when I did drawings.

This photo was the choice of the costumer, he buys it for his mum as a birthday present, I presume he would like the digital format.

I agree that I wouldn't watermark a sale image and as for price I wouldn't charge a lot as you did the shoot for free for the experience or for what ever reason you didnt charge. So I would make a token charge for the time it takes to crop & print etc and any cost of printing if you want to get it printed. We have done a few like this and given the dog owners a copy for free we have also charged a few pounds to cover the costs of printing and delivering But I wouldnt charge normal rates as you did the shoot for free and this sale is just a bonus

"I do kind of feel guilty charging, but if I start to give free, people do take advantage. I noticed that mainly when I did drawings."

It depends on what you want from your photography.

I give a lot away, in fact so far I have made a loss in my business, but the contacts I have made are priceless.

Giving images away has got me into areas of photography, events and behind the scenes I would never have got to before, I have built a reputation as a good, honest photographer to be trusted, and now people are asking me to undertake contract work for them.

It has cost me, I guess, somewhere in the region of £3-500, which I have considered not only an investment in the business but part of my marketing strategy, if giving away a couple of snaps gets me a good reputation, additions to my portfolio, then so be it.

Edited by jeremy rundle
  • Like 1

I think my investment would be mainly in doing the free shoots and the referral to the website I give them. this is where they see the photos and say they love or hate them.
And I hope word would go around like that.

The flatcoated retriever walkies for example was also a great opportunity to do photos and they all end up on facebook, watermarked but they do get around as the walks are very much promoted so are the photos.

Here one of the FC walks(I did mention this in another post)

14019976557_3d9c23a17b_b_d.jpg

I must say the feedback I got on the walkies photos are brilliant