Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Selective .. something

ChrisLumix

Inspired by Derek's church mosaic, I had a go at a selective colour conversion of a really old print.

Technically it's awful, I know : started as a 70s slide and a print taken shortly after, then a scan done of the ancient print, which is why it looks .. scrappy.

Anyway, I extracted the figure without difficulty, then converted to mono. The end result was a bit odd (though beforehand I'd thought it an ideal candidate for selective work), so I reduced the opacity of the background layer to add a bit of colour back, and it does seem to improve it.

What do you think? 

post-677-0-78994500-1389649917.jpg

I don't usually like selective colour, but this one appeals to me a lot.

Aww thanks. I had the same feeling (about selective colour) when I dug out the scan of the print of the slide. Do you agree that adding back a little colour to the background works?

Inspired by Derek's church mosaic

Hi Chris, sorry for the delay, saw this the other day but been rather busy with work. I feel obliged to comment now!

I think you've done a good job on it. Personally I've never done selective colouring with layers like this (and I guess how most people do it), but use Silver Efex Pro 2 instead for the shots I've already shown you. I might give it a go though. I think pictures like this look best when either the colouring is more subtle/subdued, or when the contrast between the 'colourised item' and the background is more subtle, as you've managed here. What I don't generally like are where there's a weak looking mono background and a very bold, almost too 'pushy' object in colour. These often look stuck on in my opinion if not done very carefully.

So to cut a long story short; I like it  :clap:

Derek

Well, thank you Derek. :) It actually dates from the year I first started taking 35mm photographs - but the background on the print either always was too green or had become so over the years. So it seemed a natural candidate for improvement.

Archived