Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Shutter button vs back button focus?

I've been watching vids and reading about the pros and cons of using the shutter button to focus vs using the AE-L AF-L button to focus. Here is a link that pretty much sums up what I've been reading:

http://anthonymorganti.com/2013/08/09/4-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-focus-with-the-shutter-button/

I've just set my camera up to use this method and will give it a try for a while, I just wondered if anyone here uses this method or has any thoughts on it.

Edited by Martyn

Would never change back to shutter button controling focus

Advantages

1) With camera set to af servo, one touch of the back button = one shot, constant touch = af servo (that has to be an advantage, a static subject starts to move )

2)If shutter release half pressed is then configuerd to exposure lock, you can then focus with the back button remove finger and its locked, move the camera to suit the best exposure half press and move back to the original position depress fully and click  

Disadvantages

1) Takes time for brain to come to terms with it

2) Try explaining it to someone that wants to take a picture of you with your camera

3) Dosnt suit all types of photography i.e landscape and still life (could still be used but the advantages are zero)

I have no experience of this and although it sounds interesting, I also find it a little confusing lol. I use the AE-L/AF-L to lock the focus where I want it then re-compose and take the shot. I will have a look at the link when I have a bit of spare time

Today I've been using the back button focus method and I like it. As Fuzzy very ably summed up, it's a matter of getting your head round the new method. I got used to placing a single point focus dot on the chosen subject,  pressing the focus button with the thumb until in focus then release it, focus is now locked. Next job is to choose the area I wish to expose for and place the dot (I use centre weighted metering) on the chosen area and half press the shutter button, exposure is now locked. Compose the picture in the frame and complete the shutter button press to take the pic.

I know this may sound a bit of a performance, but really, we already do most this without thinking. And why should the object we focus on always be the object we meter for, as it is when we use the shutter button to focus and set exposure. I have often been encouraged to get away from auto modes and learn to use manual settings, this method is yet another step towards taking decisions away from the camera and having full manual control.

so how would this compare with my method - 

e.g. camera set at continuous servo, I use the 4 way button to flick the spot focus around to one of the 30+ focus points then take the picture.

I use this method with stationary subjects too, although not usually set to continuous servo.

saves having to use the lock button and recompose as you would use the 'everyday' method.

Does sound like there are advantages so I'll have a bit of a play around in the next day or 3