Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

What camera quiz

I've found several websites that have a series of questions about what you want from a camera such as http://www.selectsmart.com/camera/ . Bases on pictures that I regularly take my criteria has been; small and light, high quality images, good video, low light performance. I've set my budget on the high side at £300 - £400 There are about half a dozen cameras which come up regularly but two come out on top consistently; Canon G15 and Nikon P7700. If I slightly change my criteria I get Canon EOS 1100D and Nikon D3100. Does anyone here own or have any experience with these cameras? 

Any other advice and suggestions welcome but I reserve the right to ignore any or all of it! 

Guest DaveW

The best way to buy equipment is as you say based on your picture taking interests and what camera makes have the equipment you need for it.

In the dim dark days of the past when I started my requirement was close up photography of plants, which at that time that dictated an SLR where I could change lenses and fit extension tubes (not that many macro lenses around then) and also the ability to see through the lens itself to avoid the parallax viewfinder cameras produced close up. In those days many amateurs preferred the medium format twins lens reflex rather than 35mm cameras since it gave larger negatives to print from.

No bridge cameras in those days, or compacts with macro settings, so I have stuck to DSLR's ever since because they give me more flexibility close up.  The general photographers in the past were not bothered with parallax of course, though still liked interchangeable lenses pre the zoom lens era, so all aspired to the more compact interchangeable rangefinder cameras like Leica's in those days.

I find DP reviews as comprehensive as any since they usually give a 14+ page review of all aspects of the camera, unless it has only just been released and not reviewed yet:-

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15

However they have not done a full review on the Nikon as far as I can find, so this one instead:-

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/nikon-p7700-1098194/review

Don't forget you don't have to buy new equipment, there are plenty of higher specification second-hand cameras and lenses for the same money on EBAY or dealers shelves, so don't get hung up on megapixels as anything over about 8 megapixels is good enough for most of the images we take.  With all photography it is the lens that matters since it produces the image, so a better lens on a lower megapixelled camera will do more to improve your pictures than a few extra "bells and whistles" or megapixels on the camera itself.

always feel free to ignore my advice :)

the G15 and the P7700n are compact camera and the EOS1100d & D3100 are DSLR so you will need extra lenses for them. I think your first decision needs to be compact / bridge vs DSLR 

My wife has the G12 which is a great camera but the lens doesn't have a huge zoom on it. It does take great shots and allows you to shoot raw as well which is a bonus over some compacts.

I have the fujifilm 770exr which has an enormous zoom and takes really good lowlight pictures like this

Before my wife got the 60D she had the 1100D which I used for a week instead of my Pentax K5. Although the images were OK I wasn't happy with them, especially in lower light/higher ISO but maybe I've been spoilt with the K5.
Jean also has the G12 which is a lovely camera that I usually reach for if I'm just popping out.

As Richard says, you need to figure out which type of camera you want to use and I'd also add 4/3rds system into the mix.....just to confuse things even more!

Bridge camera's still have a lot going for them.

I  bought a smaller Nikon one with 400mm zoom even after buying my DSLR as a bridge camera can be so versitile.
I also started with a bridge after having a very early Fuji digital compact.

Edited by NannyFerret

bridge cameras are fine although I used to find my Fuji 9600 a little frustrating at times especially the slow shutter speed and the quality compared to a dslr, but I would suggest make sure anything has an APS-C sized sensor.

I'm sure bridge cameras have improved since I last owned one and because of that I'm going to suggest you don't go for the Nikon 3100.

Why?

The Nikon is ok but it is the base model and I'm not impressed with the camera/cost/ value and suggest either go for the Nikon 5100 or a good bridge as said above. The Nikon 3100 will only accept the latest G series lens and unless you can find the 3100 with something like an 18-200 lens attached you might find the kit lens 18-55 lacking and the G series lens aren't cheap.

Edited by colinb

As a step up from a basic compact then a modern Bridge camera could well be the ideal route to go down.

Yes a DSLR or a Mirrorless System camera will give you better absolute quality and they pull ahead quickly in low light but for general shooting, home printing at sensible sizes and for sharing online then a Bridge will be fantastic.

What you get for your money is a HUGH lens range, light weight, fantastic macro, very good video, a decent viewfinder and lots of manual controls.

Looking at a longer term purchase a system will always win out, you can add to it, evolve it and grow with it.

Something like this is in budget - comes with two lenses and will produce outstanding quality shots: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Digital%20SLR%20Cameras/products/Nikon/D3100%20Digital%20SLR%20%2018-55mm%20VR%20Lens%20%20Tamron%2070-300mm%20Lens-89096/Show.html

You might also like to consider something like this: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Compact%20Digital%20Cameras/products/Panasonic/Lumix%20DMC-FZ200%20Digital%20Bridge%20Camera%20%20FREE%20Lowepro%20Case-86308/Show.html

There is nothing wrong with budget Nikon bodies that don't have motors built in for older auto focus lenses - I can't remember the last time a lens came out that didn't have a motor built in so it only really applies to photographers who have old kit and are upgrading. 

Thankyou all for the replies and links, this thread is certainly helping me to focus (pun intended) on what I really want out of my camera.

Most of my pics have been taken on a mobile phone of some description, others on a camera when someone has asked me to look after it while they dance or play. My main interests are traditional music and dance so I find myself already carrying a fiddle case and two different pairs of dancing shoes, the last thing I want is a big camera and another bag around my neck. I'm currently leaning towards the Canon G15 because it is relatively small (ok, it won't fit in a shirt pocket but I think it would fit in a jacket pocket or in my rucksack). It has many advanced features that are normally found on DSLRs. This quote from one of the reviews sums it all up for me, "The Canon PowerShot G15 is a new premium compact camera aimed at the DSLR owner looking for a backup model or the enthusiast who wants DSLR functionality without the added size and weight". Now I know it sounds like I've already made my mind up, but I am seriously considering other options and am open to suggestions.

Guest DaveW

As BP points out:-

"Yes a DSLR or a Mirrorless System camera will give you better absolute quality and they pull ahead quickly in low light."

If your traditional music and dance shots are taken in badly lit interiors, low light capability may be what you need, particularly if they frown on you using flash. Therefore wide aperture lenses and low light capability would be required and a DSLR would win over a bridge camera in that case. Therefore you would be best buying body only, plus a wide aperture lens for low light shooting rather than a small maximum aperture kit lens zoom often sold with the camera.

http://www.exposureguide.com/concert-photography-tips.htm

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/11/concert-shooting-basics

Whilst small may seem desirable to carry, you need the proper tools to do the job.  It's no use trying to break concrete with a toffee hammer even though it may fit in your pocket easily, you need a sledge hammer even though it's more cumbersome to carry! :smiling:

General photography in good light is the cheapest form of photography to equip yourself for, but as soon as you move to the extremes like low light interior or macro photography the more expensive the proper equipment gets unfortunately.

It's a bridge for me, I used to use an SLR in film days, but carting a bag of lenses, filters, flash guns etc, got beyond a joke, the only extra piece of gear now is a Raynox 250, thank the lord for my Panna FZ50.

.....I used to find my Fuji 9600 a little frustrating at times especially the slow shutter speed and the quality compared to a dslr.....

Funny you should mention that Colin; the guy who gave me my current camera came round to see me and asked how I was getting on with the little Rollei point and shoot then gave me an old Fuji 9600. I had to super glue the transparent window back over the LCD screen and charge the batteries but only one is any use at all, the other is good for about 50 shots. The screen is far to small but the zoom is awesome. May see if I can find a cheap battery for it but don't want to part with much money from my camera fund.

EDIT: Oops, pardon my mistake; it's a Fuji 6900 that I had given not the model I stated above  :hope:

Edited by Martyn

I had the Fuji S9600 and it was the camera that helped me to understand things more. about photography .

A good camera to learn with, that's for sure.

My friend has it now and her granddaughter is using it for her photography course at school.

It's been going for a good few years and is still going well now.

• Like 1

Martyn - take a look here quite a number of bargain Nikons including body only ( and Fuji bridge), then look for a refurbished lens. These cameras are often brand new returns and have 6 months guarantee - has to worth a look.

http://www.parkcameras.com/Listing.aspx?txtSearch=Refurbished+&page=1

http://www.parkcameras.com/25769/Nikon-D3200-Body-Only---Black-Refurbished.html

Edited by colinb