Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

A question for you do any of you use filters whether it would be for special effects, UV Filters, Polarizing, etc . I used to use them with film camera's and still have some on lenses now. What I want to know if you do use them in digital photography what ones would suit to cover all area's. I am not sure if they are still being used. I do have quite a few but some just are too small for today's lenses :(

Would like your opinions on what you use and what for also perhaps what I would need to buy for today's digital age. Look forward to you comments and suggestions. 

Had them all - sold some - bought them and others - sold them again - repeat over numerous years.

For a good few years though I haven't had any filters as I can't think of any reason or any shot where they would make any improvement. Thats said recently I have bought a 10 stop ND filter and I have had a few nice shots from it.

I use three kinds of filters .........

*  ND grads for scenes where the brightest part of the sky is much more than about 2.5 stops above a mid-tone.  If you do not use an ND grad and expose for the sky, mid-tones and shadows will be underexposed.  You can, of course, push those in post processing, but depending on how far you push them and  which camera make you use,  you can end up with excessive noise and loss of detail in the shadows.   Alternatively, if you expose mid-tones correctly then you can/will blow out the brightest highlights and that will not be recoverable in post processing.   ND grads work for me.

* Solid ND filters.  I use those so that I can use slower shutter speeds in daylight.  I have a 3, 4 and also a couple of 10 stoppers.  They are useful for taking those shots of the sea or rivers/waterfalls that you often see that look milky.

* Polarizing filters.  I tend only to use those occasionally to reduce reflections in water or oher surfaces.  They can also increase the saturation of the sky if used at right angles to the sun.  They do not work too well with wide angle lenses.

I never use UV or "protector" filters.  I don't see any point in putting more glass in front of a decent lens. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, andrewk said:

I use three kinds of filters .........

*  ND grads for scenes where the brightest part of the sky is much more than about 2.5 stops above a mid-tone.  If you do not use an ND grad and expose for the sky, mid-tones and shadows will be underexposed.  You can, of course, push those in post processing, but depending on how far you push them and  which camera make you use,  you can end up with excessive noise and loss of detail in the shadows.   Alternatively, if you expose mid-tones correctly then you can/will blow out the brightest highlights and that will not be recoverable in post processing.   ND grads work for me.

* Solid ND filters.  I use those so that I can use slower shutter speeds in daylight.  I have a 3, 4 and also a couple of 10 stoppers.  They are useful for taking those shots of the sea or rivers/waterfalls that you often see that look milky.

* Polarizing filters.  I tend only to use those occasionally to reduce reflections in water or oher surfaces.  They can also increase the saturation of the sky if used at right angles to the sun.  They do not work too well with wide angle lenses.

I never use UV or "protector" filters.  I don't see any point in putting more glass in front of a decent lens. 

Gooes for me too.