Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Helloooo yet again!

Beth

Hey,

Yes, I've done a price comparison Tina.........amazing the difference in saving with some places isn't it? 

I also have a paypal account, but have always paid in the normal way when shopping with Amazon, never knew they used paypal!

Just need to get the zoom lenses clear in my head so that I know which to choose.

If I don't buy the camera with the kit, which other lense would be suitable to get, depending on price?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get your camera and first lens sorted out first if I were you.
I think Paypal is fairly recent on Amazon, but does make things easier, doesn't it. I had next day (early) delivery and they ytexted me twice to let me know that it was near delivery time. The carriers were excellent.
The second lens I got was a 55-200 Nikon VR which I use a lot more often than the 70-300 Sigma.

The sigma doesn't have vibration reduction so in low light you will get camera shake when hand held.
I only really keep my longest lens for birds etc. It's quite heavy too, where the 55-200 is easily carryable. I had it round my neck and in my hands for nearly three hours last Saturday, and I am 69 and have arthritis, so it can;t be bad and it's faster too.
I think you would miss out if you didn't have the smaller kit lens.
You may be able to find a kit with the standard zoom and also the Nikon 55-2200 VR.

I'm around as I have been poorly with a kidney infection, so plenty of time on my hands. lol

Edited by NannyFerret

I forgot to say that you would be making a mistake to get a very long zoom and have that as your only lens as you will be limited in what you can shoot and will have no variety..

I can't believe how much this lens has come down, since I bought mine.

http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/search.asp?RecId=NIKDA158

You wiull need the AFs lenses as the motor is on the lens and not the camera for focusing.
You would have to manually focus if you don't get the one with the s.
Check the specs on the camera that you choose to be sure, unless someone on here can confoirm this for me.

Edited by NannyFerret

my bit is-

body and a 18-55mm lens (either kit or buy one, sigma or tamron), this will get you started at least.

for the larger lens i would go for the 70-300mm lens (whatever make you decide on).

then when enought money saved i would then go for a macro lens either 50 or 60mm or go for the 100-105mm, the bigger the lens the slightly less close you get to the subject, so they don't do a runner.

i have a 55-200mm lens and never thought it was long enough, so after a while i bought the 70-300 lens. i never use the 55-200 (or very rarely). the 300mm lens sigma/tameron are quite heavy compared to the 200mm but nine times out of ten i have the mono or tripod with me as i tend to use it for wildlife. the other plus with a 300mm lens is that most i think, (check it out,) have a macro setting on them. it is only at 1:2 which is half the size (where as 1:1 is at a full size ratio), but it is still a handy option to have when out in the wild and you want some insect shots. 

good luck in you search.

geoff

My Sigma has a Macros setting on it, which is quite handy when you can't get down low enough or something is in the way.
I only started with the kit lens on my Nikon and found it enough to get me learning how to use the camera and to find out about future lenses..

I got a set of cheap Macro filters off ebay which I have found useful when using the shorter zoom.

Thanks both!!  :thumbup:

Geoff - I've understand what you have said and it has cleared some confusion that I had.  I feel that I will get a camera with the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm (this is what is on offer in Curry's with both the D3100 & D3200 & D5100, the problem is deciding on which one???).

Hope link works........ 

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/d3200-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55-mm-vr-zoom-lens-70-300-mm-f-4-5-6-dg-macro-telephoto-zoom-lens-for-nikon-ultra-class-10-sdhc-memory-card-16-gb-twin-pack-bella-iv-dslr-camera-bag-black-PN915917-pdt.html

I've also been looking at the Sony range as I understand they use Carl Zeiss lenses.  Although, should I be too worried about the types of lense, considering I'm very much a beginner though....?

I used the Sigma 70-300 for a good few years and never had any problems. As a beginner I wouldn't be too concerned about which manufacturer of lens to use although saying that there are some pretty dire models out there.

Thanks Phil,

Did you have a look at the link.........does it sound like a good deal? No probs if you didn't look.

Just trying to compare the specs between the 3 cameras I mentioned.

I don't know enough in order to say whether I should decide on one or the other.

I waste so much time when making a purchase like this, but I just want to make sure I choose the right one for my level of experience at this time, as I won't be purchasing another camera for a long time to come.....

From a womans point of view who loves her D3200, I personally would go for this one.

Even my friend who has been a photograapher in the past is very impressed with the specifications and said he would like one.

I have never tried a D3100 or D5100 so I can't really comment on those two.

You can shoot closer subjects with the Macro settting on the 70-300 zoom too, so you would have a wide range of shooting distances.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/d3200-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55-mm-vr-zoom-lens-70-300-mm-f-4-5-6-dg-macro-telephoto-zoom-lens-for-nikon-ultra-class-10-sdhc-memory-card-16-gb-twin-pack-PN923051-pdt.html

The clarity of the pics is brilliant with the extra pixels.

Edited by NannyFerret

my bit,

being a canon man, don't know the preformance of the 3 in question, however if i was just starting out or up grading i would go for the 3200 with the 18-55mm lens. i notice that there are two on the curry's site, one without a lens (reduced/sale price) and the other with the lens but slightly cheaper than the one without a lens?????? i found this confusing as they are both the same body & specs. i think the 5200 is a tad expensive when you consider that you want to buy other lenses and are just starting out as well, the extra you save will get you decent 70-300 and might just squeeze into a macro lens as well (may have to add a little bit)

they are offering a 2 year guarantee as well. (via nikon, you will get one year with the shop and the second year through nikon, if anything goes wrong then you may have to send it away to get sorted), don't be tempted to buy their insurance, you should be covered for loss/theft via your home insurance and if you feel that you need it you can get cheaper cover for damage elsewhere.

best to go into the shop and handle it, make sure that it feels right, not too big or small in the hands (very important because if it is not right then you may not like it and regret the buy). remember it will feel quite heavy at first until you get used to it and when you put a 70-300 lens on it, it will be heavier again as the 300mm weigh around another pound or so in weight. 

between the two i would go for the nikon over the sony.

i would also take a print out of page 1 & 3, page 3 is the one with the lens as well, just incase they try to quible.

remember you will need to get storage cards, spare batteries, decent strong bag to carry it in, which all add to the extra cost. 

if you buy a telephot lens at the same time they may do a deal if you ask, even £10 off will buy something else.

anyway hope this helps a little, have fun with what ever you get, looking forward to seeing the results.

geoff

Beth. There are reasonable camera bags here.

eg. http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-waterproof-3-way-carrying-shoulder-camera-bag-with-detachable-strap-camouflage?backUrl=L2NhdGFsb2dzZWFyY2gvcmVzdWx0L2luZGV4Lz9xPWNhbWVyYStiYWdzI3A9Mg==

There are others so search the site and make sure that you get one big enough for you camera and zooms, plus an bits and peices that you aquire through the years.

I have a backback and various bags to suit the occasion that I have bought over the years and if you choose right they last for years too. I prefer the ones with the flap over as I boughht a small one off ebay once and the rain seeped in through the zip as the zip wasn't covered.

Luckily I had my camera around my neck and tuck right inside my waterproof jacket.

I would like this bag, but will see how funds go.

I can't see an overflap on this one so if I ever get one, I will make a waterproof cover to gop over the who thing.

Edited by NannyFerret

had a look at your link, look like a canny deal.

all my lenses are sigma, been using them from day one, had no probs with any of them.

geoff

I read reviews on the Tamron and Sigma and there wasn't much to choose between them,but I thought the Sigma pics samples looked slightly sharper and deiced that as I had always been happy with the Sigma zoom that I had on my SLR film camera that that would be the way to go and I know that it was the right choice.

My goodness, thank you so much to the three of you for all your help and I really do appreciate it as you've gone out of your way to check my link and (Tina), looking at the bags too.  Oooh lovely people hee hee.

I noticed on the Curry site that they were selling the Sigma and Tamron 300mm lenses separately, but I believe they work out a tad more expensive than within the bundle deal.  However, I can't read or detect within the spec which type of 300mm they are selling within the bundle......???  

Here goes lol........would it be best if I chose the camera plus 18-55 (or whichever extra comes in the deal) and buy a 300mm zoom separately?

Should I opt for a 55-200 or 55-300mm OR 70-300mm.

Feel embarrassed :blushing: and a pain asking all these questions.  Need someone in the know to come with me on Saturday to have a look lol.

Think it might be the D3200, I'm just a bit sceptical re the large number of pixels and if I will benefit from them as such, especially if I may not be printing off anything. I notice that the 3100 ISO is only up to 3200, as opposed to 6400 forthe D3200 and D5100...? 

I'm looking into it a bit deep I guess..............

I noticed on the Curry site that they were selling the Sigma and Tamron 300mm lenses separately, but I believe they work out a tad more expensive than within the bundle deal.  However, I can't read or detect within the spec which type of 300mm they are selling within the bundle......???  

Here goes lol........would it be best if I chose the camera plus 18-55 (or whichever extra comes in the deal) and buy a 300mm zoom separately?

Should I opt for a 55-200 or 55-300mm OR 70-300mm.

Feel embarrassed :blushing: and a pain asking all these questions.  Need someone in the know to come with me on Saturday to have a look lol.

Think it might be the D3200, I'm just a bit sceptical re the large number of pixels and if I will benefit from them as such, especially if I may not be printing off anything. I notice that the 3100 ISO is only up to 3200, as opposed to 6400 forthe D3200 and D5100...? 

I'm looking into it a bit deep I guess..............

I love the extra pixels and I do think you would benefit.

Get the deal with the 18-55 and see which make the 70-300 lens is. It's usually Sigma or Tamron. Both are good makes so I don't think you can go wrong with either of these and it will work out cheaper for you too.

Don't be frightened to ask if they will give you a choice of your longer lens, if not then the two makes mentioned are good anyway, but go in and make it look as if you know what you are talking about and don't be pushed into a make of lens or camera that you don't want.

I wish they had had the D3200 out at that price when I got my first Nikon. I would have jumped at it.

I'm dying to see what you finally come home with> I think I am as excited as you are now, as I know the feeling of getting your first decent SLR.

Edited by NannyFerret

right then, had a quick look about, body + 2 lenses from curry (offer) £527.99

body + 55mm lens (currys) £409.99. sigma dg 300mm lens £149.99 (currys)

"          "                       sigma dg 300mm lens £115 (via amazon) was £170

"          "                       sigma apo dg 300mm lens £199.99 (currys)

"          "                       sigma apo dg 300mm lens £141.76 (via amazon) was £234.99

the apo lens is slightly better, but whether you will notice the difference, i don't know.

the saving by shopping around works out at only £20 or so, don't know if there are p/p charges via amazon, if there is then you could end up paying more.

as it stands as a first camera etc i would just go for the full offer at currys. if any problems with anything you only have one port of call to deal with plus you get a couple of cards with currys, which you would have to buy anyway. you're getting them for only a couple of pounds each with the offer.

geoff               

WAIT FOR IT..............ARE YOU SEATED LOL??

Yay, I've bought my Nikon D3200!!!!!!!

I'd upload a piccy but I can't do it yet (so annoying), but when I get chance

I will fathom it all out.

So, yessss, I have it lol!!

Only thing though was that the deal in currys went up by £30 odd,

I discreetly argued the difference and why lol but they're

prices can go up over night. If they went down a day later then I could

get the difference back. Ridiculous really but there we go.

I didn't have the bundle in the end, just the kit lense and 70-300 and an 8GB class

10 San Disk Ultra SDHC Card because I priced up

the 16GB cards on amazon whilst in the store ha ha and

they were remarkably cheaper and bags were. So considering the bundle had increased

in price I wasn't saving anything.

The zoom lense had to be ordered in. Been selling lots. I didn't want to

come away with any of it unless it was all there, but I'm not

going to need the 300 in the next week, so I calmed down about doing a strop (joke) lol.

Had a headache after leaving the store though, silly really but I do.

So there we are my lovelies, I've been and done it. I hope you're

pleased with me hehe!!

Going to have a look at it after tea as I didn't get home till 4. Tis all go.

Catch you all later and thank you all so very much for your kindness and patience with

my silly questions.

Beth x

Good choice, Beth.I think you will be really pleased with it,  and waiting for your long lens will give a chance to get used tot he camera.

Don't forget that there is a help menu in your camera so you won't be stuck when you are out

Am watching the rugger match and rooting for Wales. :animier:  :animier:  :animier:  :animier:  :animier:

ADVICE AND TIP TIME THEN-

don't use any of the pre-set modes, go straight onto P or A, P sets the camera to like auto, A =you can set the aperture and the camera sets evwerything else.

if you use the pre-set modes then you might as well have bought a point & shoot camera.

if you start on the P mode then when confident try out the other settings A, S, M.

it won't be long before you shoot in Manual mode, where you set everything.

shoot in raw and use the nikon software to convert the pics after they have been adjusted. much better than jpeg but a bit long winded as they need converting to jpeg or tiff, but well worth the effort, once used to doing it it will become second nature.

don't change the lenses when windy or on a beach if you can help it, it will help stop dust getting onto the sensor. try to keep the lens cap on when not shooting.

buy a cheapish AU filter, this will help to stop getting scratches on your lenses, better to scratch a filter for a few quid than a hundred pound lens. amazon and 7dayshop.com do them at reasonable prices.

wrap the strap around your wrist a couple of times when it's not around your neck, if it is knocked then you have a chance to stop it hitting the ground.

order some spare batteries, so when one on charge you have one for the camera.

carry a cloth or kitchen towel in your bag incase it gets wet.

have fun in learning how to use your new prize possesion, we did with ours.

i'm sure others will have more tips & advice.

geoff

Ooh thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

I agree about the shooting modes. I just find the aperture and shutter speed hard to understand.

I need the basics to be honest and I don't want to be lazy sticking with the preset modes.

Once I get chance later hopefully, I'll check out the uploading with Gravatar and see how I get on.

Just realised I could have put the camera on charge, but totally forgot since coming home.

Thanks again.

Beth x

Gravitar is just for the Avitars, Beth.

I used shutter speed for quite a while before really getting down to the other settings as it sets the Aperture automatically to let more or less light in depending on the speed you choose, but if you have done a course in photography then you have a head start and will probably know more about the settings than I did when I first started with with my SLR.
I have certainly learned a lot more since being on the forums and everyone was only too willing to help and didn't think any of my questions were silly..