Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Speedlight / Macro lense?

I went for the macro lens first, sigma 105mm.

105mm over the 60mm as you don't have to be as to close to the insect (subject, so I was told).

once I started I could not put it down, on a warm, still, bright summers day the world of insects is amazing. seeing things that you never see when just looking with the naked eye.

one day I spent 3 hours just photographing insects & plants in a 100 yard stretch of wild verge.

if I needed some light I used a little bright torch which fitted in the bag with no probs and cost wise was next to nothing.

I now have added to my kit a nissin ring light, I have not been out in the field with macro & light yet, tried it in the garden when I first got it with mixed results, not used to settings on light was the problem.

I used the light for portraits more than macro, but then again the weather has not been that great to get out and shoot macro wildlife.

once you do get into macro (focusing is the key and you will get many out of focus shots) I think you will love it, this side of photography is really interesting and fascinating.

geoff

• Like 1

I'm going to come at this from a different angle.

Your list of kit didn't mention a tripod - if you have one ignore the rest of the post...

With the £200 you have the first thing to buy should be a good solid tripod as that will transform the way you take shots while increasing the quality you can achieve with your gear you have far more than adding an extra lens (no e on the end by the way) or a flash. Your two kit zooms are grim wide open but are also capable of very good quality once stopped down a bit - but that either needs light (not always available) or it needs ISO (buggers up your gain in optical performance) or it needs a tripod. Using a tripod also slows you down, makes you far more aware of the scene/subject you are taking and removes restrictions on shutter speed or even allows shutter speeds that would not otherwise be available. A good one will last you a lifetime, far out living most other camera gear you buy. 

A good tripod is one of the most important purchases you will ever make as a photographer - it is what I would recommend spending money on before you add anything else to your kit.

• Like 1

I'm going to come at this from a different angle.

Your list of kit didn't mention a tripod - if you have one ignore the rest of the post...

With the £200 you have the first thing to buy should be a good solid tripod as that will transform the way you take shots while increasing the quality you can achieve with your gear you have far more than adding an extra lens (no e on the end by the way) or a flash. Your two kit zooms are grim wide open but are also capable of very good quality once stopped down a bit - but that either needs light (not always available) or it needs ISO (buggers up your gain in optical performance) or it needs a tripod. Using a tripod also slows you down, makes you far more aware of the scene/subject you are taking and removes restrictions on shutter speed or even allows shutter speeds that would not otherwise be available. A good one will last you a lifetime, far out living most other camera gear you buy. 

A good tripod is one of the most important purchases you will ever make as a photographer - it is what I would recommend spending money on before you add anything else to your kit.

Yup, as you guessed in your first line I had forgotten to mention. I have a tripod, which is one that someone was throwing out as they didn't use it so I got it for free which is always nice. I also have a mono pod which although not as good as the tripod it's extra potable so works well for certain situations/place.