Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Speedlight / Macro lense?

So I'm lucky enough to have around £200 soon for some new camera kit. My bag at present consists of:

• Nikon D5200
  • 18-55 kit lense
  • 55-200 telephoto
  • 35mm f1.8 prime
  • IR remote

I'm thinking of either a speedlight (the Nikon SB 700) or a macro lense, now this is where I am stuck. I have never used macro before so have no idea what to look for. Would anyone have any recommendations on a macro lense (compatible with my camera) for under £200?

Ive never used a Raynox attachment for macro but if you look up annies shots you can see how in the hands of someone that knows how, what good results you can get 

After that its extension tubes, manual ones are cheaper but auto ones are easier to handle as your camera will still have aperture control 

Macro for £200 ? the advantage of a macro lens is that it will focus from little to infinity so can be used as a normal lens This fact alone means you can find the little blighter and focus in on him, unlike tubes where you have a very limited field of vision until you are close 

The one thing you never have with macro is enough natural light so a flash of sorts is usually required (gives you a greater dof) 

The choice is will you use flash?, will you like macro ? 

With your budget I would go for a flash and tubes then if you get into macro you can save for a decent macro lens

That might just take you over the 200 mark by about 80 pounds

Unless you can find some second hand auto tubes, as there is no glass involved they are a safer bet than lenses  

• Like 1

If me I'd go for some flash equipment - Yongnuo is great value and you could buy a reasonable flash gun, pair of triggers, light stand, softbox and umbrella for £175 ish including postage.  Why this?  It opens up a totally different world.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-YN568EX-YN-568EX-TTL-High-Speed-Flash-Speedlite-for-Nikon-D5200-D5000-/150957482335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2325c4615f - £65

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-RF-603-II-wireless-flash-trigger-Nikon-Camera-N1-for-D200-D300-D300S-/160932780211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25785758b3 - £24

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002W9G8VM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 - £44

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0065245B2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 - £6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006VTJQT0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 - £7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0011363NS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 - £15

Total £161 plus postage

I have two pairs of triggers and normally use three of them.  One on camera, one in my hand and one on the main light.  I have a proper studio light but speedlites give you so much flexibility and are very portable.  You might need to check compatibility with your camera on the triggers and speedlite.  I know what to purchase for my camera but it's a different make.  Triggers act as transmitters and receivers and the 603's are the basic ones.  If you have a studio you might want a better specification but to get you going these are very good.  You don't HAVE to have them but like the speedlites, they open up a new world with off camera flash, group shots with you in them and without having to run back to the camera to set the timer again.

Alternatively, and this was difficult to find as they're popular lenses:

http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/item/203607/sigma-105mm-f28-ex-dg-macro-nikon-fit-nikon-f-mount-prime-lens.html - £200 - to use it successfully it is sensible to use flash lighting though to freeze the subject (and blind it too :lol: )

Edited by EdwardL
  • Like 1

Without trying to sound like too much of an amateur...:whistle:

Would there be any 'noticeable' difference between the Yongnuo and the Nikon?

I know there are some differences but being 'new' to flash photography are the differences things that I probably wont notice/need?

That being said, I do like the idea of the softbox! even though I don't have a studio lol

Extension tubes fit between your lens and the camera body, this shortens the minimum distance you can focus too but you cant focus to infinity (not that you want to do that in macro)

The extension tubes click together usually 3 tubes   12mm thick 20mm thick and 38mm or near enough those dimensions depending on maker 

You can click them together in any combination giving different minimum focus's Too much actually focuses inside the lens which is not what you want. the normal rule is half the focal length of the lens you are using is about max e.g a 100mm lens usable max would be a 38 and a 12 tube but rules are only the start of experimentation 

They are just hollow tubes no glass in the case of the auto ones the electrical connections run through them so the camera can communicate with the lens, beneficial for aperture control and auto focus (you would probably find the latter irrelevant and stick to manual focus) 

Kenko are a reliable make but there are many more and cheaper ones you get what you pay for 

They are a relatively cheap way into macro and it may not be for you so its best not too splash the cash till you know

• Like 2

I'm past the beginner stage now but you should have seen all the questions I used to ask about this area of photography.  I can only speak from a Canon angle but 98% of the time there is no difference.  The 2% is when you're using it a fair amount and sometimes it doesn't fire.  So if you're having a charity evening and photographing a series of people over an hour or so it might not fire five times or so - does depend on batteries of course.

As to specification and capabilities there is near enough no difference between Yongnuo and propriety(?) brands - apart from the price.  I think a Canon flash gun is £300 or something and the Yongnuo's under £100 - a big difference for that 2% in my book.  I know of a fair few professional photographers who use these Yongnuo's much of the time.

In my humble opinion :)

(The softboxes fold to nothing, up a little like children's play tents)

I do so enjoy my macro lens though - I don't envy you this decision as macro photography is very rewarding when you get a good shot - from personal experience and not knowing any better that Sigma lens is super value.  I enjoyed this link:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-macro-lens-8-tested-1041461

• Like 1

I'm past the beginner stage now but you should have seen all the questions I used to ask about this area of photography.  I can only speak from a Canon angle but 98% of the time there is no difference.  The 2% is when you're using it a fair amount and sometimes it doesn't fire.  So if you're having a charity evening and photographing a series of people over an hour or so it might not fire five times or so - does depend on batteries of course.

As to specification and capabilities there is near enough no difference between Yongnuo and propriety(?) brands - apart from the price.  I think a Canon flash gun is £300 or something and the Yongnuo's under £100 - a big difference for that 2% in my book.  I know of a fair few professional photographers who use these Yongnuo's much of the time.

In my humble opinion :)

(The softboxes fold to nothing, up a little like children's play tents)

I do so enjoy my macro lens though - I don't envy you this decision as macro photography is very rewarding when you get a good shot - from personal experience and not knowing any better that Sigma lens is super value.  I enjoyed this link:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-macro-lens-8-tested-1041461

I missed your post there, I shall have a read of that link.

I think I will go for the flash option for now.... which will be the Yongnuo and some additional toys... maybe treat myself again in the near future to a macro lens ;)

I missed your post there, I shall have a read of that link.

I think I will go for the flash option for now.... which will be the Yongnuo and some additional toys... maybe treat myself again in the near future to a macro lens ;)

A fair few models out there but (again in my opinion) the 568(?) is probably the best to go for as it has HSS capabilities.  And the 460 I bought as my first is now a spare - just not powerful enough really and rather basic.
I'll look forward to some results!

• Like 1

Dave here is my set up for macro although it has altered slightly from this 

Initially I used wireless triggers because they always state old flash guns have trigger voltages higher than 6v, which was an eec directive that no hot shoe voltage should exceed 6v (this is a hanimex at least 10 years old with a trigger voltage in the hundreds ) use of an old gun on the hot shoe although it will work has a tendency to fry the electronics in the camera eventually 
Since then I found that the pc socket on the camera far exceeds my flash gun trigger voltage as its not covered by the directive  so I have ditched the wireless 

Being Yorkshire the off camera vivitar flash bracket, hanimex flash and softbox cost me all told £15 from carboots and amazon 

I normally shoot with the 100mm canon 2.8 macro plus 49mm of extension tubes and sometimes I use a reverse 50mm 1.2 on the end of that 

The only really expensive bits are the camera and lens 

IMG_07121_zpsff55c10c.jpg

Edited by fuzzyedges
  • Like 1

Jessops do their own TTl flash guns for Nikon at a very good price.
I got the Automatic Extension tubes, so that the connections still work.
These were about £80.
I also bought a cheap ring-light from ebay. About £17

A set of Close up filters from Ebay for around £10 doesn't do a bad job of close-ups either.

• Like 1

I think a flash is the logical first option in my case as I can use it for all sorts of scenarios and fun. If I got the macro first I would struggle with lighting until a purchased a flash of one form or another.

I will have a look at those jessops ones, thanks Nanny.

Can I just say all of your replies have been very helpful, thank you. 

A fair few models out there but (again in my opinion) the 568(?) is probably the best to go for as it has HSS capabilities.  And the 460 I bought as my first is now a spare - just not powerful enough really and rather basic.I'll look forward to some results!

Just found this, saves a few quid :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231561490649&globalID=EBAY-GB 

i have a nikkor 40mm f2.8 for sale. great little lens, but too short for chasing insects lol. (£100)

extension tubes are great, i still use them combined with my sigma105mm macro i also vote for the yongnuo flashes,.. got 3 of them and never failed me

Edited by pdcpic
  • Like 1

i have a nikkor 40mm f2.8 for sale. great little lens, but too short for chasing insects lol. (£100)

extension tubes are great, i still use them combined with my sigma105mm macro i also vote for the yongnuo flashes,.. got 3 of them and never failed me

Yeah I think I will definitely be looking for an insect chaser when I get one, thanks for letting me know you have one for sale though :)

• Like 1

Yeah it looks like the light stand is the part that differs from the other options.... Which I suppose is quite a key part lol

I was thinking more about the softboxes - whether the material would cover the box properly without light creep and whether they'd fold up again then undo again without breaking or tearing - yes, the stands too - the cheapie I've recommended ... the plastic on one of mine has cracked already and I'm pretty careful with my equipment but my softbox is fine still :)

Yeah I think I will definitely be looking for an insect chaser when I get one, thanks for letting me know you have one for sale though :)

Never chase the insects let the insects come to you or you will appear demented darting around bushes and throwing your self into the weeds 

• Like 2