Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Advice re selling my images

Without meaning to brag, my images look awesome with the right frame (what artist wouldn't say that?). My daughter comissioned me to do a bespoke image for her bathroom, which she said I could also sell as a limited editionprint, as long as she had number 1.  It's a pair of red, frilly, spotted panties, on a red washing line with white pegs, black background. In a black frame with white mount against white tiles its the centrepiece of the room and receives amazing comments .The same print,  in a plain glass clip frame (to protect it more than toframe it), has little impact.

It's hard getting started but I have sold a few prints so far to friends and colleagues, as well as donating some as raffle prizes to charities (as a publicity thing mainly) and we have to start somewhere!

To be honest regarding the website it depends how you want to use it. If you want to use it as the main focus of your business then you can spend a lot of money on search engine optimisation (SEO) and google can change its search rules (it does this a lot) and your site can vanish from the search results until you get the SEO updated again. Photography and selling prints is a very very crowded market and frankly chasing top listing on google could cost you lots. 

If you want to go to craft fairs and sell your prints but catch those customers who dont buy on the day and then regret it but did take a leaflet or card with your web address on the SEO is meaningless as they will type in the url so google won't come into it but you will still get the sale. 

As Jeremy said he spends many hours optimising his site yet if you search google for his first keyword sports photography his site doesn't come up in the first 3 pages of results, not sure when it does show up as I stopped after the third page but it does highlight his point that it is very difficult to get good rankings on google for very popular search phrases.

Thanks all for the advice. Jeremy, I have never made a website, have no one to help me, have no idea how to and did the best I could from the time I had. However, I havent even had 1 enquiry so its pointless spending time and money on it. Im gonna use my spare cash to build stock and start selling at fairs and markets rather than pay someone to improve my site..

I have realised asking for advice is great and results in some positive ideas however for everything 1 person suggests, someone else says the opposite. Some say don't frame, some say do. Some say keep prices down others say dont.

Think I will have to take a suck it and see approach and yes, framed prints look much better and as such, I am building a stock from sale and used frames. I work full time so my 'venture' has to fit in and it's gonna be a long, hard slog.

The CAB can point you in the right direction to get FREE site building advice and on a one to one basis

Google your local enterprise agency

To be honest regarding the website it depends how you want to use it. If you want to use it as the main focus of your business then you can spend a lot of money on search engine optimisation (SEO) and google can change its search rules (it does this a lot) and your site can vanish from the search results until you get the SEO updated again. Photography and selling prints is a very very crowded market and frankly chasing top listing on google could cost you lots. 

If you want to go to craft fairs and sell your prints but catch those customers who dont buy on the day and then regret it but did take a leaflet or card with your web address on the SEO is meaningless as they will type in the url so google won't come into it but you will still get the sale. 

As Jeremy said he spends many hours optimising his site yet if you search google for his first keyword sports photography his site doesn't come up in the first 3 pages of results, not sure when it does show up as I stopped after the third page but it does highlight his point that it is very difficult to get good rankings on google for very popular search phrases.

And that is where advertising comes in as NO ONE relies just on a search on google to sell their business.

This is why I have adverts on the car, on jet skis, hand out leaflets at all major events, contact large companies such as Sigma, Nikon, Canon and so on, send images to magazines  (and get them published with a credit), then they google a1sportsphotography

Most of my work comes from facebook and word of mouth, the sites are just a throwback to what people expected, more people these days use linked in for professional as I do and am on, twitter, my page and so on, you need them all to work "together"

Edited by jeremy rundle

so if they google by your site name why waste hours on SEO?

I have to say Jeremy I do admire how you are throwing yourself and your savings into this business but do you have a realistic chance of recouping your huge investment in the next 3 years as well as making a living from it?

so if they google by your site name why waste hours on SEO?

I have to say Jeremy I do admire how you are throwing yourself and your savings into this business but do you have a realistic chance of recouping your huge investment in the next 3 years as well as making a living from it?

Waste, why buy a car with air con when you drive with the windows down, because it is there as well when needed !

If I have enough money not to concern me does it matter !

This thread seems to be moving away from the original topic and may get a little personal. Keep it nice everyone.

Chrissy, I think the gallery portion of your site presents the images very nicely, although agree a little work on the other content might be worthwhile. However, I would take advice on how 'beginner' your site looks from someone with a business contact email address @tesco.net with a pinch of salt  :rolleyes:

Skywatcher@tesco.net has a history I am proud of

I was a long term friend of Patrick Moore (remember him)

Astronomy, he and I

We were talking one night about a contact email for his sales (which I managed)

Astronomy, Patrick Moore "Skywatcher"

I have been offered £2000 for the name

However perhaps I will set a new one and keep that for Patrick's sales.

Edited by jeremy rundle

I have been offered £2000 for the name

£2000 :huh:

then I would sell it,

can't see it hold much value for now he has passed away.

I thought at first you meant you are using the skywatcher email address on your web site - I have just taken a look and can see you don't but I was rather concerned about the live email link?

Phil or Richard will know better than I but ... a few years ago this would result in the web spy bots sending you loads of crap emails, not sure if that still happens?

Edited by colinb