Just came across these. The first two are of the market in Nizwa which is a small town on the edge of the Arabian Desert in Oman. As you will see, they like a pot in Nizwa! The third is a fort in the same town.

437728384_1(4).jpg.4430bdc05fc37376a43cf999a7c56d24.jpg

1724924795_1(5).jpg.c3e141320a880a5fcf26f4715ac4cf31.jpg

1345099883_1(3).jpg.e47b9f1b41dc2a4b469044900dc9108d.jpg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Clicker said:

It looks flippin' hot there David  ! That sort of heat would drive me potty !!:whistle:

Yes Polly. Absolutely overpowering. We arrived at 10.00 p.m. at night. Out of the air conditioned aeroplane and into an oven. I was dreading what it would be like when the sun got to work the next day!

• Haha 1

If I remember correctly, although it was hot it was a dry heat, unlike the muggy heat of the tropics - now that is sapping.

8 hours ago, Fogey said:

If I remember correctly, although it was hot it was a dry heat, unlike the muggy heat of the tropics - now that is sapping.

That is quite true. I remember there was a scorching hot  wind blowing one day which felt like it was coming out of the jaws of hell. It seemed to dry the saliva in your mouth in mid conversation. It was an interesting experience and a fascinating country but I don't think I will be repeating it. This is my wife and daughter in law in the desert. 

image.thumb.png.daf8e552b56a8664f5e7f5da7741143f.png

We lived in Egypt for a couple of years when I was a child and all my early formative years was all about half days at school, (it was far too hot during the day), siestas and swimming in the Bitter Lakes in the late afternoon and evening.

I had no idea about green fields, snow and constant rain - you should have seen the horror when I met my first stinging nettle.

That photo had to be taken either early morning or late evening, because the sand would be too hot to sit on during the day.

1 hour ago, Fogey said:

We lived in Egypt for a couple of years when I was a child and all my early formative years was all about half days at school, (it was far too hot during the day), siestas and swimming in the Bitter Lakes in the late afternoon and evening.

I had no idea about green fields, snow and constant rain - you should have seen the horror when I met my first stinging nettle.

Yes - the shadows are a bit of a giveaway! It was approaching sunset. We stayed one night, at a sort of campsite in the desert  and were woken at 6.00 a.m. by the rich kids from Dubai playing with their toys. As you said playtime is out of the question once the sun gets up to full strength. Here they are:

image.png.339e621ff39f0de94ca4ca3be6b52b62.png

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Paul said:

Third photo in OP reminds me of a Rainbow Six FPS map! (Fortress)

Paul.

I had no idea what that meant but Google made sense of it for me! 😃

• Haha 2