Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Oriental Carving

I've been playing around with the camera, using light from an Ipad together with a very slow shutter speed to get different effects.

This carving sits in a sealed glass cabinet and It took a deal of post processing to remove the reflected light from the cabinet glass.

Oriental carving reduced.jpg

I  really like this Fogey ... what is it carved from ? I can imagine the  problems you will have faced with the glass so well done on solving  them with your processing .... I wonder if you would venture to show us what it looks like in the  sealed case and with something relative  to show  show the size that it is .. I think that may make the way you have overcome the challenge even more impressive . It really  is such a beautiful delicate piece of work.

I have no idea what it's carved from, Polly.  I shrink from the thought of ivory, but at a guess I would say some wood indigenous to either China or Japan.

Upon closer examination the trees appear to have been carved separately, as does the pagoda and island it sits on.  Nevertheless, I stand in jaw dropping awe of the skill of the artist that carved this. 

1 hour ago, Kobione said:

Beautiful carving Fogey, and your method shows it off really well.

Thank you Kobione.
The lighting turned out to be very interesting, as it depended on how close to the subject the light was and how many passes I made with the I-pad.  The resulting effects were in my mind's eye only, as the ambient light remained very dim throughout the exposure.

It was only when the exposure was finished could I see the effects of the cumulative lighting.

4 hours ago, Clicker said:

I  really like this Fogey ... what is it carved from ? I can imagine the  problems you will have faced with the glass so well done on solving  them with your processing .... I wonder if you would venture to show us what it looks like in the  sealed case and with something relative  to show  show the size that it is .. I think that may make the way you have overcome the challenge even more impressive . It really  is such a beautiful delicate piece of work.

Here is the carving in its cabinet.

CCabinet.jpg

Thanks Fogey ... it all adds context for me ... it is, as you say, a stunning feat of craftsmanship and probably pretty delicate too so the sealed cabinet is ideal to keep it in ... mint condition eh?..
 Sorry ...couldn’t resist that😂😉

It's the way I  tell 'em......😂

A bit of research shows it may well be  carved from wood from the cork tree... I just googled oriental  carvings in sealed glass case ... I thought it may be soapstone at first  but it does look like there are, what may be,  knot  hole markings . The ubiquitous  eB*y have got a number   for sale ... 

Archived