Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

New (used) dslr advice please

Tim

Hi all,

First post and requesting some advice please.

I am looking for a used dslr, up to £200. In the past I've used an AE1 a fair bit, my own monochrome printing etc etc.

Then a Canon G4 which has given up on me recently.

Still use an Olympus XA2!

So now looking for a decent but straight forward dslr. I have always liked shooting in aperture priority mode. Not fussed about effects or WiFi conectivity.

I have been looking at used EOS 100's,  they seem to offer what I am after and are relatively compact.

Any advice welcomed.

£200 is not a great budget to work with but you will find something out there.

I can't speak for Canon as I have always had Nikon but in your price range you should be able to find D80 D90 D7000 DX bodies. 

I would avoid the likes of eBay unless the seller is close by and you can view and test the camera before buying.

London Camera Exchange have shops all over the UK that sell used and are trusted https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?Order=Price&View=Grid&SHMake=&SHModel=&SHType=Digital+SLR+Cameras&Location=&Results=12

Firstly Tim welcome to TIPF

Not being a Canon user I shall let others comment on their products.

On the Nikon side for compactness and ease of use, Nikons D3300 or better still, the D5300 are both very capable cameras. As Colin says, Lenses for the D3000 range are usable right across the board up into the D7000 series too, very affordable too.

Look forward to seeing your final choice and the images :)

Yes.... Welcome to the  Forum Tim ... You may be interested to know that we have have at least one member who still uses  film cameras a lot, ie,  JamesT .who still prints his own Mono images . As Colin has said you should be able to find a used  dslr  but I agree with him about being close to a seller if you are using Ebay  or something similar so that you can go and  check it out before purchase. . I can recommend Cambriancameras  as a very reliable and professional outfit where i have bought all my camera gear from over the past five years and visited them in person on a number of occasions . I have included a link below ,.. in particular to their used Canon  dslr cameras  though they have other makes too,

https://www.cambrianphoto.co.uk/collections/used-canon-dslr-cameras?sort_by=price-ascending

Hope some of these answers help .... ... Do tell us more about yourself  too ... :)

Welcome to the forum Tim.

2 hours ago, Tim said:

I have been looking at used EOS 100's,  they seem to offer what I am after and are relatively compact.

The Canon EOS 100D was the first DSLR that I bought - I still have it along with an 800D - it's nice and easy to use and relatively small and light weight. It has several modes, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual Mode amongst others, as well as Full Auto. For  AF Points it has 9 manually selectable single points or it can use all 9. Exposure Compensation: +/-5 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments, ISO Sensitivity: AUTO(100-6400), 100-12800, Continuous Shooting 4 fps

I taken well over 100,000 shots on mine and is still going strong. Just checking eBay and there are several within your budget.

Many thanks, yes I'm dubious about ebay for such things. LCE looks good and very reasonable prices with a 6 month guarantee that defiantly looks like the way to go. I'm not necessarily looking only at Canon so will certainly look at Nikon too. One thing that surprises me is how so many lenses for dslr's only shut down to 5.6? Back in film days that would have been pretty limiting for depth of field?

15 hours ago, Tim said:

One thing that surprises me is how so many lenses for dslr's only shut down to 5.6? Back in film days that would have been pretty limiting for depth of field?

Most camera manufacturers stick a basic kit lens in the box which usually opens up to 4.5 at widest.

I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G lens which you can often find a used version. I am assuming you are aware you can/maybe able to use older film camera lenses on digital cameras? Although you may find auto focus does not work - a member by the name of Fuji .

On the other hand I find using my 'cheap' 55/300mm f/4.5 -5.6 can give a nice short depth.

1154570167_Nash1.jpg.6905b3e886f0c702f35228d25fbe63f3.jpg

All the lenses I use all stop down to f22

Canon 24-105mm f4 L
Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art
Tokina 11-20mm f2.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro
Sigma 150-600mm f5.6 C
Laowa 60mm f2.8 2:1 Super Macro

I don't think I've come across a lens that didn't stop down to f22, even the kit Canon 18-55mm and Canon 75-300mm f4-5.6 lenses that came with my EOS 100D both stop down to f22.....

On 15/11/2019 at 09:41, Tim said:

Maybe I worded it wrong... I meant the other way around as in not closing down to a smaller aperture as in f22 which was common. 

Tim I'm not sure if you are aware but the numbers on the lens usually refer to the widest figure eg f/4.5 I think you will find most (apart from some primes) will narrow done to f/22.

Having said that I'm curious to know why as I don't think I have ever set the aperture to anything near f/22, it must restrict light and shutter speed?

On a "zoom" lens, the widest aperture can vary according to the focal length, Tim.
My Canon 18-55 kit lens is described as F3.5 to F5.6.  That means it will will open up to F3.5 at 18mm but only goes to F5.6 at 55mm.
It will close down to F22 at all focal lengths.

15 hours ago, colinb said:

I don't think I have ever set the aperture to anything near f/22, it must restrict light and shutter speed?

Not only that but at the smallest size aperture like f22 you get lens diffraction which makes the image softer than at a larger aperture, all lenses have an optimal aperture

• 1 month later...

Tim

have you got any lenses for a Canon? I am having a clear out of all my camera equipment please see this page 

I would hope that some of the long term members who remember me will vouch for me in terms of me being trust worthy, let me know if you are interested in any of the kit