Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Nikon FE, EV compensation ring

Hi all,

I’m quite new to film photography.  I’ve just got a Nikon FE with 50mm 1.8 pancake lens and I’m really enjoying them. Both are mint conditions; beauties. 
But I’ve a question immediately. Everything works fine on the camera but when I adjust the EV compensation ring and twisting it to minus to meter lever goes up and the same is true of course when it is on plus the lever goes down. I thought that it should be just the other way around, so when the ring goes to minus the lever also should because it needs more light or the light is way too much. I haven’t checked any of the pictures yet and I’m wondering if any of you met the same thing or should it be like that though is totaly illogical. 

For me now it seems like if the comp ring goes to minus it decreases darkness and if it’s in plus it adds darkness. Let’s say I’d like to shoot the speed of 250 and the meter lever is below of it. If I turn the comp ring to minus it goes towards 250 but if I turn it to plus it goes further to lower speeds. I thought that if I turn it to plus the lever should go upper because I added more light sensitivity so I can use higher speed and if I turn it to minus the lever should go down because it not as light sensitive so I’ve to balance it with slower shutter speed.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to TIPF, Laci.

I'm guessing a bit, because I'm not familiar with that camera, but I think that sounds like it's working how I'd expect.
If I understand correctly, you have a meter like I had on my old Yashica SLR.   That had a needle that looks a bit like a petrol gauge on a car, with the idea being to get it in the middle.  If the needle was above the centre I was overexposing and if it was below the centre I was underexposing.  If you have EV compensation and you tell the camera you want to underexpose by one stop, I think that would mean that when the meter is in the centre it's now one stop under.  

So if your shutter & aperture are set to expose correctly, the meter will be in the centre.
If you then switch the EV to say you want to underexpose by a stop but keep the same settings, the meter would now show as being a stop over.
You would then need to increase the shutter speed by a stop to bring the meter back down to the middle.

Does that make sense?

Gareth

A warm welcome Laci to our forum .... As you are into film cameras  I  suggest you keep an eye open for JamesT, a member  who is pretty passionate about  old analogue cameras... If you didn't get a manual with your camera  it might be worth looking at this link which  has a PDF  FILE  that may be of some help

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fe.pdf

.. Look forward to seeing  you joining in on the forum... yell if you need any help ... ...

1 minute ago, Clicker said:

A warm welcome Laci to our forum .... As you are into film cameras  I  suggest you keep an eye open for JamesT, a member  who is pretty passionate about  old analogue cameras... If you didn't get a manual with your camera  it might be worth looking at this link which  has a PDF  FILE  that may be of some help

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fe.pdf

.. Look forward to seeing  you joining in on the forum... yell if you need any help ... ...

Thank you very much indeed! I really appreciate your reply! Will get to JamesT as I have a folding camera as well and have questions about it. 

• Thanks 1

I had a Nikon FE back in the day - a lovely piece of kit that gave me much pleasure. I'd never go back to using film, though, I just love digital photography with all all its magic.

Welcome to the forum BTW - dive in and enjoy.

Korky

18 hours ago, Korky said:

I had a Nikon FE back in the day - a lovely piece of kit that gave me much pleasure. I'd never go back to using film, though, I just love digital photography with all all its magic.

Welcome to the forum BTW - dive in and enjoy.

Korky

Thanks Korky! 

15 hours ago, JamesT said:

Welcome. Good to see another film user here.

Thanks James. Yea, I’ve just been on a darkroom workshop about developing negatives and making prints. Was awesome, I’ve enjoyed every second of it. 

I attach my first print ever. 

I’m wondering if you have any idea from where could I get a rangefinder for a folding camera? I’ve checked ebay and gumtree but couldn’t find any. Other option I’m thinking of to make one myself. I found viewfinder forum so I also will post this to there but more people see this more idea could come up. 

E146C30F-CA13-4AC1-8FBE-8A43E27DBDBA.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Laci said:

I’m wondering if you have any idea from where could I get a rangefinder for a folding camera?

Not sure if this from RS Photographic is the sort of thing you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pullin-Optics-Vintage-Rangefinder-for-Cameras-Stock-No-u9698/292984812188?hash=item443741729c:g:kz8AAOSwmU1cdr6d

His E-bay shop may be a good place to look, and also MrCad. MW Classic Cameras (where I have seen standalone rangefinders) seem to be down at the moment (also they are generally rather shambolic -- three purchases and had to chase up on all of them).