Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

TinType

Black Pearl

Hi, BP,

Your current fascination/interest in Tintype photography, or rather the iPhone app that produces remarkable copies, amuses me......not funny Ha Ha, but funny puzzled.

Talk about at the opposite ends of the spectrum, at one end you defend your use of the very latest Apple technology and all it has to offer, whilst at the other, you use the self same technology to reproduce a very early ( nay ancient) photographic printing method that gives grainy, blotchy, hit and miss results.

You have reminded me of my wife's ( then girl friend) very first visit to the Seaside at the age of fifteen, she got permission to join me on a coach trip to Skegness. Because of wartime restrictions, I never saw the sea until I was 14 and day trips were all we could afford, we arrived at midday, had a quick paddle, ate sandwiches, plus all the usual sea-sidey things, then boarded the coach at around 5pm for the 160 mile journey home on pre motorway roads.

During Gs first trip, we were stopped by a Promenade Photographer, who offered us an instant print for half a crown. ( a fortune then) I agreed.......the result?..............Yes! A .....Tin Type print.........we kept it for years, I wish I could find it, the photograph had all the characteristics of your examples on here, but would have preferred a.better defined film or digital memory of our first day out together away from home.

I wonder if there are any of those old tin type, print producing cameras around? I seem to recall they had a tank of chemicals to produce a positive print on to a thin sheet of tin, which was wrapped in a protective card sleeve to prevent fading.

Your example above, looks exactly like a print produced from one of my fungi damaged glass negatives, rather than a Tin Type.......I recall that ours was, a sirt of silvery sepia, that looked better if turned into the light.

Now I am trying to imagine a modern car enthusiast, preferring to drive his Model T Ford ;-)

Have fun!

FUJI

I don't think it's odd at all. Modern technology can allow us to reproduce a scene almost exactly as it was in front of our eyes. Yet if that's all there was, how boring it would all be eventually! The camera liberated artists from being "reproductive" (Gainsboro, Reynolds, etc) to become "impressionist", "expressionist", "surreal", etc. Now technology has liberated photographers in exactly the same way, as the Painterly topic illustrates. This is just one other such technique.

Archived