Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Getting it right in camera?

Hi all!

Recently been snapping some of my daughters friends and also family newborns.

Only learning and no cost to parents. However! I find I am editing for hours.

Spot removal red/yellow skin etc this I can deal with but my lighting?

I have a little one coming on Monday ( news travels lol!) question is I am setting up my Lencarta lights for this shoot as the weather is not looking great to allow natural light.

I know you can't see the set up etc but I will be using my soft box along with background/ beanbag / reflector and props ( hats etc) I

Is it best to have my light shining down babies head with slightly feathering or do I move it to the front and about 4-5 feet away.

Have used a Google many many ways but hoping one of you take some babies and can give me some advice please.

Settings would be helpful too.in the past I tend to use manual at f5.6 and low ISO

I will be using my nifty 50 but also have kit lens and Sigma 24-70 for my Canon 700d

Cathy

Hi, with a softbox, the closer it is the better the light wraps around if it were me I would place your key light either side about 1-2ft away and your reflector the opposite side to bounce the light back. ive done portraits indoors with on cam flash bounced of the celling. if you have more than one light then I would use your key light one side, fill the other and a bg/hair light

• Like 1

Cathy when you say little one do you mean infant/baby or child as this for me would dictate the type of lighting used, you can direct a child but not a baby.

Saying that I have not photographed a newborn/baby since my film days so pauln's advise may be the way to go.

I much prefer natural light myself but when I do shoot with studio lights I much prefer shoot through brolley's to soft boxes myself for reasons I will not go into here.

So you can see the difference between bounce on camera flash and studio flash here are a couple of my Granddaughter Chelsea taken on the same day.

The first one was taken in her bedroom using on camera bounce flash of the ceiling, the other one was taken in a kitchen measuring 10 x 4 feet and using a single flash head and shoot through brolly at 45 degrees 4 feet away from the subject. hope this helps you. :)

post-970-0-69143200-1412928122.jpg

post-970-0-91204100-1412928141.jpg

Edited by OlyPaul
  • Like 1

I much prefer natural light myself but when I do shoot with studio lights I much prefer shoot through brolley's to soft boxes myself for reasons I will not go into here.

So you can see the difference between bounce on camera flash and studio flash here are a couple of my Granddaughter Chelsea taken on the same day.

The first one was taken in her bedroom using on camera bounce flash of the ceiling, the other one was taken in a kitchen measuring 10 x 4 feet and using a single flash head and shoot through brolly at 45 degrees 4 feet away from the subject. hope this helps you. :)

That's an excellent example : the first seems to simulate natural light, while the second is quite obviously a 'studio portrait'. Horses for courses - whatever suits the circumstances, the subject, the location, and the desired end result.

Beautiful images of your granddaughter ! She is so pretty.

Thank you so much for the advice I am very grateful :)

I like both of these lighting set ups. Paul can I ask what camera settings you used for the studio shot ?

I will be taking a 3week old baby but my lounge is not bright enough in this winter light.

I have used my softbox on a baby before but my lighting was not great. Last week I took my sisters 2 day old grandchild for her and did use on camera flash but again not the best. They loved them but I know my lighting is not correct.

This all came about after my daughter posted a friends baby I took, on facebook and now I get her friends calling for their friends to have a few pics done. I enjoy the challenge and the parents know I am an amateur and are happy just to get what I give them.

I want to perfect the workflow and try to get it right!

Cathy that looks fine to me for bounce flash and is a very good image and one to be proud of.

As to setting for the studio flash shot I messed up here and forgot I had left the ISO at 400 from the bounce flash shots and was at f16 but it is usually f8 at the camera sync speed but will depend on the strength of the light how close the light is to the subject and if it is has variable power settings, this is where a flash meter comes in handy, this was a none variable 20 year old Jessops power flash unit, I have recently upgraded it. :)

If you are interested all my formal (posed) portaits are here, some with studio flash and some with natural light, feel free to ask questions. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/sets/72157645195151231/

Edited by OlyPaul
  • Like 1

Gorgeous composition and exposure, a real winner. (For me personally, I'd dial the magenta down a bit, but otherwise... :) )

Just curious Chris, do you have a set of formulaes for various skin tones? i can struggle with them at times?

FUJI

Gorgeous composition and exposure, a real winner. (For me personally, I'd dial the magenta down a bit, but otherwise... :) )

Chris thank you!

I posted it because my lighting is so hard but even my last home studio shots were much like this. I just feel I am not getting it right

Chris I tried the magneta sliders and the red but then baby looked green lol! Slide them all a little this way and that to be honest

I am only learning how to work with skin tones so not great at it. Did try free powder room action it does help but not how I would like it.

Goingbtomtryna creamy layer and try painting over baby today to see if that helps.

Chris thank you!

I posted it because my lighting is so hard but even my last home studio shots were much like this. I just feel I am not getting it right

Chris I tried the magneta sliders and the red but then baby looked green lol! Slide them all a little this way and that to be honest

I am only learning how to work with skin tones so not great at it. Did try free powder room action it does help but not how I would like it.

Goingbtomtryna creamy layer and try painting over baby today to see if that helps.

Cathy this is using the adjust skin tone tool in Elements 12...just a quick adjustment, I also softened the image slightly.

PS to get a softer light from your softbox drape a layer of white muslin or thin cotton over it to diffuse the light more.

Best viewed large

post-970-0-74683400-1413030324.jpg

Edited by OlyPaul
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just curious Chris, do you have a set of formulaes for various skin tones? i can struggle with them at times?

FUJI

No, I just go by what looks right, nothing more complicated than that.

Chris thank you!

Cathy this is using the adjust skin tone tool in Elements 12...just a quick adjustment, I also softened the image slightly.

PS to get a softer light from your softbox drape a layer of white muslin or thin cotton over it to diffuse the light more.

Best viewed large

I think Paul has got it spot on Cathy - but yes, if you move the magenta slider too far it will go too green. Just a touch, then adjust the red, and/or yellow, until it looks right.

• Like 1

Had another go with  baby Rebecca on Monday she is only 4 weeks old bless her and was so good.

I think i have better lighting not the best but better.

I am going to take a while to get it right but Oh am I enjoying these little bundles  of love.

post-1020-0-47725300-1414008214.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful picture. (Possibly a smidgen too blue? God, I'm so hard to please!)

No not all I love criticism , how else can we improve without it :)

Now where is the blue lol! Is it in all the picture or is it a skin thing as I want to try fix it .

Thank you Chris glad you liked it.

All I see is a superbly crafted photograph of a very beautiful infant...........Cathy, you are developing that .....Magic Touch......the something special, that makes certain photographers stand out from the crowd.

Our Pauln has it, with his amazing Primate creations, not just good camera skills but, with the ability for creative, Post-Processing skills, that enhance the original shot.

FUJI

Awh! Fuji thank you so very much :) She truly is a beautiful little girl and I was lucky on the day as she was very content. Not up for any lying on her tummy poses but I never push it,only take what baby allows me to do and that they are happy with and mum is always by my side.

I am trying hard but know I have a way to go. I really enjoy this time and the experience with the babies.

Think I may have a go with my second light next time and try using both. One as my main and one as a fill so off on a you tube hunt now for tutorials.

I am a grandmother to 6 and have photographed each and every one of them since birth but nothing like this. I wish I had known a little more about baby portraits then but hey! I have the time now lol!

Guess it is the same with all my photography I am having time now to learn but find the forum very helpful as I don't have any friends who like photography so no one to ask so thank you all I do like all the replies and advice it truly helps me a lot!

I am a grandmother to 6 and have photographed each and every one of them since birth but nothing like this. I wish I had known a little more about baby portraits then but hey! I have the time now lol!

Guess it is the same with all my photography I am having time now to learn but find the forum very helpful as I don't have any friends who like photography so no one to ask so thank you all I do like all the replies and advice it truly helps me a lot!

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but has anyone told you that you are the spitting image of Joan Bakewell? (That's a compliment, by the way :) )

• Like 1

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but has anyone told you that you are the spitting image of Joan Bakewell? (That's a compliment, by the way :) )

Well that really is a compliment she is a beautiful woman thank you Chris :)