Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Stott Park Bobbin Mill

Stott Park Bobbin Mill is on the edge of Lake Windermere and well worth the entry fee. I took the Sigma 10-20 in for a visit with the iso set at 1600.

15081641709_d1159ac0ae_b.jpg

The steam engine that replaced the waterwheel

15022887957_87a773406e_b.jpg

Transport & logistics

15206409021_c9c9156f42_b.jpg

15022887988_d484632724_b.jpg

The workers would let the wood chips pile up to cover their feet and legs in an attempt to keep warm

15030112700_fff36381de_b.jpg

The man from the HSE would have a fit

15221523641_c048f02f23_b.jpg

Drying room for freshly varnished bobbins. Apparently, the workers were high on the fumes by the end of the day; hence the term "happy hour!"

15038017968_6a14de32c7_b.jpg

More pictures here for anyone interested

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100267524@N04/sets/72157647084178888/

Just wonderful Martyn, you have excelled yoursel again here, it has been great to witness how your photographic skills have grown since you first joined us with your new camera.

The first pic here, brings back, very strong and happy memories.....as a very young joiner aged between 15 ( when I left School) and 18 when I was Called Up for National Service, one of our regular tasks was to maintain the local Brickworks.

There had been no modifications because of the War, and an almost identical Stationary Steam Engine powered all the machinery from hauling clay filled wagons from the clay pit, or crushing, then puddling the clay for moulding then cutting.

A rectangle of red Warwickshire Clay would emerge, toothpaste like at a steady rate, from an iron tube, as it reached the right length the operator would pull down a frame with wires to act just like a Cheese Cutter to cut five identical bricks, for dyring then (later) baking in the Kiln.

I regularly used to sit with my back against the engine plinth eating my sandwiches as it was working, the massive engine, always rocking very, very slightly on its blue brick base, squeezing oil out as it did so......I can still smell the steam and coal if I close my eyes.

The biggest job we had at the brickworks was to replace one of the HUGE beams forming the gantry carrying rails up from the clay pit.....three joiners, the boss and me the kid, all hauling ropes around pulley on DIY shear legs to lift the beam in to place....it took a whole week end.

Sady, the town, never kept the brickworks as a Museum, the place was demolished, the 80 ft deep clay pit became the town tip.....now, it is a housing estate ( with methane gas problems). ......Memories! Eh?

Observation......if that lass is actually working that lathe, with hair bunched up like that, she is risking being scalped if it caught in a pulley, belt or on a drive shaft.....all women had to wear tight headscarves in industrial situations after many horrendus deaths and injuries.............someone should have a word if she is demostrating that beautiful old lathe.

FUJI

Archived