Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Iceland

Phonantiphon

Hello all,

Thought I would kick off my contributions by posting up some photos I took from a recent trip to Iceland, a country I am now unashamedly willing to champion as Officially Awesome(!)

1. This is a view over Thingvallir National Park, with Thingvallakirkja on the right-hand side.

UmPqSvf.jpg

I can see that it was a dull day but more colour would make this a much better scene...

Fair point, but I was unwilling to add colour to a scene that really did not have a great deal in it already - (and was in fact extremely dark), so rather than that I chose to enhance the detail that was already there.

But I take your point though. :)

I'm gonna have another look at that first one.

I beg to differ. The colour palette is cool, which probably captures the inherent coldness of that place; and far from increased saturation, I feel its muted and subtle colours suit it perfectly. I'd go with your gut instinct to leave it alone, though by all means duplicate it and experiment on that! It's not level, would be my only criticism, but that may have been deliberate?

I'd like your water shot better if some of the top was cropped out, to leave the water as an even stronger element? Otherwise I like it.

I think the sunset and lake shots are strong - good shots.

I'm afraid the geysers shot doesn't do much for me - what am I supposed to be looking at? Steam? Colour and texture of the soil? The distant peaks? My eye is wandering all over the place and settling nowhere.

I beg to differ. The colour palette is cool, which probably captures the inherent coldness of that place; and far from increased saturation, I feel its muted and subtle colours suit it perfectly. I'd go with your gut instinct to leave it alone, though by all means duplicate it and experiment on that! It's not level, would be my only criticism, but that may have been deliberate?

I'd like your water shot better if some of the top was cropped out, to leave the water as an even stronger element? Otherwise I like it.

I think the sunset and lake shots are strong - good shots.

I'm afraid the geysers shot doesn't do much for me - what am I supposed to be looking at? Steam? Colour and texture of the soil? The distant peaks? My eye is wandering all over the place and settling nowhere.

Hmm, interesting.

I think what I might do is try out a copy and pop it on here for some advice. 

I had actually cropped the shot already, cropping is somethng I still get a bit wrong - (I'm a bit new at this) - I'll revisit that.

The Geysir one - yeah, thinking on it I made a basic error of taking a photo without really having a point. I guess I was trying to capture the mise-en-scene, as it were but that wasn't "entirely" successful. You can't win 'em all though and it stands for me as a worthwhile reminder of what not to do!! :D

The Geysir one - yeah, thinking on it I made a basic error of taking a photo without really having a point. I guess I was trying to capture the mise-en-scene, as it were but that wasn't "entirely" successful. You can't win 'em all though and it stands for me as a worthwhile reminder of what not to do!! :D

Don't get too hung up on composition and technicalities, you still need to record the moment if only for your own records. :yes

I had actually cropped the shot already, cropping is somethng I still get a bit wrong - (I'm a bit new at this) - I'll revisit that.

Don't get too hung up on composition and technicalities, you still need to record the moment if only for your own records. :yes

Phil makes a good point - better to get a picture that wouldn't win any competitions (like 99.9% of mine!) than none at all. But if you have the time, it never hurts to take a moment or two even if it's only to decide what your main subject/focus is to be.

(I think that geysers shot would have worked as part of a panorama, if your camera is capable of that, or you have software to do it?)

Phil makes a good point - better to get a picture that wouldn't win any competitions (like 99.9% of mine!) than none at all. But if you have the time, it never hurts to take a moment or two even if it's only to decide what your main subject/focus is to be.

(I think that geysers shot would have worked as part of a panorama, if your camera is capable of that, or you have software to do it?)

Yeah my camera will do that - (Olympus PEN E-PL5).

My other half - (who is a very decent photographer) - made the point whilst we were away that I should not be too concerned with all the technical details, but definitely more concerned with What I was *actually* taking a photo Of. Both points that you guys have concurred with.

This one - (Hotel Ranga at dawn) - was the result of just a snap, and I think it's all the better for it. There's a lot of sky in the Ranga area and not a lot else, hence it's great for The Northern Lights, but at dawn on a clear morning, it just opens up - or maybe you had to be there, I don't know...!

qsJRc9q.jpg

For individual C & C it might be better if you start a new thread for each image... Unless you simply wanted to share the pics? :)

Heh, well I kinda wanted to share the pix rather than specifically get C & C BUT I think it's great that folks are interested enough to offer advice and I'm always open to it!

I didn't want to start a new thread for each because I didn't want to clog things up!

Yeah my camera will do that - (Olympus PEN E-PL5).

My other half - (who is a very decent photographer) - made the point whilst we were away that I should not be too concerned with all the technical details, but definitely more concerned with What I was *actually* taking a photo Of. Both points that you guys have concurred with.

This one - (Hotel Ranga at dawn) - was the result of just a snap, and I think it's all the better for it. There's a lot of sky in the Ranga area and not a lot else, hence it's great for The Northern Lights, but at dawn on a clear morning, it just opens up - or maybe you had to be there, I don't know...!

Again, that's an impressive scene, and you'll be glad you got a shot of it. :) I personally feel you could crop out some of the foreground? E.g., the bottom left of your picture could be where the brown meets the black - that way, the sky becomes a much more prominent feature.

(Anytime you think we're being too forward with C&C just shout out, and we'll rein it in!)

Again, that's an impressive scene, and you'll be glad you got a shot of it. :) I personally feel you could crop out some of the foreground? E.g., the bottom left of your picture could be where the brown meets the black - that way, the sky becomes a much more prominent feature.

(Anytime you think we're being too forward with C&C just shout out, and we'll rein it in!)

Not at all - actually it's already proving to be very constructive and there's not much point posting photos and expecting comments and so forth if you're going to get bent out of shape with regards to critique and advice!

These are all useful and I'm pleased because I now looking at the shots in a different way, which is great.

I think that's better, but you've possibly overdone it just a tad? Where I said "the brown meets the black", I meant the edge diagonal that runs from the hotel down to the lower left. It would be interesting to see that line run into the bottom left corner ... but if you've already assessed that and rejected it, I'll keep me gob shut! In the end, it's what YOU think looks best.

Archived