Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Along the Dales Way

Martyn

A few more pics from my wanderings with the walking group.

Disused railway bridge with the Howgills in the background

14905450036_e1f6401f72_b.jpg

Going under with friends

14925361721_99dcf868de_b.jpg

Underneath the arches

14925360571_17998f1405_b.jpg

House in the hollow

14905449096_64b88dc91d_b.jpg

Bridge over the river Lune

14741773130_f5fa2987c4_b.jpg

The last shot is excellent, very well thought out

Cheers Phil! Of all the shots I took on the day, this is the one I agonized over most. What I really wanted was at least one person in a bright red or orange jacket to cross the bridge, but it just didn't happen.

I really must get to grips with photoshop. I have an old copy of CS2 on my 'puter but very rarely use it.

I have CS2 as well, but I used Elements 6 for that - in fact you could use any layer-based image editor : select the jacket or shirt, copy to new layer, change the hue and saturation dramatically, flatten and save ... Robert is your mother's brother!

I like the first image best. Lovely!

To be honest, I'm not over keen on landscapes that have Berghaus-clad ramblers in them. Wainwright had the right idea re great groups of ramblers - he'd say hello to the first one and the rest could bugger off!

And I think you'll find that Robert is your father's brother!

Korky

Korky, you sound just like the walk leader; Before you know it there'll be no stiles and gates, just a ****ing turnstile, then a hand rail all the way to the gift shop at the top of the mountain. ****ing tourists!

To be honest, I'm not over keen on landscapes that have Berghaus-clad ramblers in them. Wainwright had the right idea re great groups of ramblers - he'd say hello to the first one and the rest could bugger off!

And I think you'll find that Robert is your father's brother!

Korky

not going to argue with you but I feel this is a great set of photos by Martyn and I like no.2 with the Ramblers in - I think sometimes landscapes can get a bit clinical and occasionally it is nice to see some human element in there - even if they are bl***y Ramblers. :rolleyes:

Just be careful slagging ramblers, read there history especally the militant parts these guys are heros

Great set martyn 2 and 5 just ahead of the rest

I can remember when you joined, youve certainly had an accelerated journey, you nearly make me want to go out and shoot ramblers  landscape

Fuzzer - Just so's you're aware, I've been a rambler for the last 25 years - I'm out in the hills at every opportunity. I'm fully aware of the politics, the mass trespasses and the history. My comments re Wainwright and ramblers were tongue in cheek.

Colin - I'm more than happy for anyone to disagree with anything I post on this forum. If we all agreed all the time, it'd be a pretty boring place.

Korky

I am fond of all but #4 as it doesn't feel like anything draws the eye particularly, oh and I am not fond of the photoshop editing to add someone in :) Is this photography or computerised art? (*throws hand grenade over wall and ducks holding ears*)

The skies seem a bit surreal to me, can't place my finger on why. Have you worked them at all?

The skies seem a bit surreal to me, can't place my finger on why. Have you worked them at all?

I expose for the highlights when I take the shot. In Lightroom I bring up the shadows and reduce highlights, I then set the white and black points and add contrast. That's pretty much how I treat all my landscape pics. For more details on this process look on Youtube for people like Anthony Morganti and Serge Ramelli.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions; I'm grateful that you have taken the time to really look at my pictures and provide positive feedback! 

I am fond of all but #4 as it doesn't feel like anything draws the eye particularly, oh and I am not fond of the photoshop editing to add someone in :) Is this photography or computerised art? (*throws hand grenade over wall and ducks holding ears*)

Martyn said he wished someone with a bright red or orange jacket had crossed the bridge while he was shooting (if you read). In the light of that, I simply re-coloured the shirt of someone already in the shot (if you look.) 

As an archive record of fact, it's a fiction. As photography I'd have said it is perfectly valid - in this case only one small detail has been changed to catch the eye.

Martyn said he wished someone with a bright red or orange jacket had crossed the bridge while he was shooting (if you read). In the light of that, I simply re-coloured the shirt of someone already in the shot (if you look.) 

As an archive record of fact, it's a fiction. As photography I'd have said it is perfectly valid - in this case only one small detail has been changed to catch the eye.

I had indeed read that.

I wish I had a nice photo with 3 lancaster bombers flying in a vic formation, but I don't - and I won't invent one either. :) If you don't get the shot, you don't - try again some time and see if you can. I don't see the satisfaction in cheating the shot and subsequently yourself.

I have to say, I hadn't noticed you had just coloured someone already in the frame though which is more acceptable to my narrow mind on the topic.

I try to do things to an image I think I could have done to them in a darkroom. I don't always manage to achieve that and I have been known to clone the odd badly placed cone out of an aircraft shot but I try to draw the line somewhere I am happy with. Just a personal preference. 

Each to their own I suppose. Some people love truly awful horrendously overdone HDR shots too! :) I know you don't, Chris.

Generally the set is very nice though and thanks Martyn for feedback on your processing work - I don't think the skies look bad, just a touch surreal to me and was interested.

I try to do things to an image I think I could have done to them in a darkroom.

I think this is where we differ, I class programs like photoshop as a darkroom advanced and not in any way cheating

There were many skills in a darkroom other than burning and dodging to enrichen an image

I dont see how you can cheat, an image is just that its not the real thing and if its not the real thing it is what you want it to be

To use your three lancasters in a line analogie, this was once acheivable in 1940's and that could be re created today to give that effect

You would know its not true but it sure would make a nice image

I know of no image that is true to what was seen

Once it has been manipulated (lens, camera software etc) then its just a case of how far you push with whatever means to make an image that suits you the ARTIST

I had indeed read that.

I wish I had a nice photo with 3 lancaster bombers flying in a vic formation, but I don't - and I won't invent one either. :)If you don't get the shot, you don't - try again some time and see if you can. I don't see the satisfaction in cheating the shot and subsequently yourself.

I have to say, I hadn't noticed you had just coloured someone already in the frame though which is more acceptable to my narrow mind on the topic.

I try to do things to an image I think I could have done to them in a darkroom. I don't always manage to achieve that and I have been known to clone the odd badly placed cone out of an aircraft shot but I try to draw the line somewhere I am happy with. Just a personal preference. 

Each to their own I suppose. Some people love truly awful horrendously overdone HDR shots too! :) I know you don't, Chris.

Generally the set is very nice though and thanks Martyn for feedback on your processing work - I don't think the skies look bad, just a touch surreal to me and was interested.

Shooting again is not possible for everyone due to perhaps a multitude of different reasons - time, opportunity, physical capacity, etc. So why not process afterwards, and make a picture? I know artists who take photographs and then use the photo at home to create a painting from. It's just part of the wider creative process. There's some wonderful creations in this forum that started out as photos.

As for darkrooms ... wasn't it in the darkrooms of film studios that the term 'airbrushing' was first coined? I'd say that was 'helping reality along' quite a bit!

Archived