Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Martial Artists

AshWeb

OK, first time posting any photos or any kind of public scrutiny.

My Son attended a martial arts contest in Essex at the weekend with his Tang Soo Do club. I went along with my new camera after a bit of a break from serious photography and realised how rusty I was. A good opportunity to get some action shots.

I pushed the ISO rating up to 3200 with the event being indoors and not wanting a flash to be distracting any of the competitors and set the camera to aperture priority mode; setting at 4.5 - 5.0 to maximise the light available, limit the depth of field and give a high shutter speed - usually around 1/300 s.  I also used the continuous shooting mode to maximise the chances of getting something interesting; what's the old saying? If you see the shot in your viewfinder, you've missed it.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

post-981-0-72821300-1404334062.jpg

post-981-0-76978300-1404334063.jpg

A good example of how to capture action indoors without using Flash.......I often have to do this in the indoor menage at a stables where my grandchildren ride.

My only suggestion is that a little more selective light could be injected via a bit of subtle Photoshop post procesing, or via he use of any other Photo Software.

FUJI

I'm not really a one for the martial arts, but you do seem to have caught the peak of the action here - you must really have been in the thick of it. I'd have stood well back or, better still, I'd have gone for a cup of tea and a slice of fruit cake and returned when all the rough stuff had finished.

I think shot two would be vastly improved just by cloning out those spots on the back wall - they're a bit distracting.

Korky

Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated.

Photoshop, or one of the derivatives, is the next thing on my shopping list along with a spare battery for the camera followed by a course on how to use it (Photoshop, not the battery).  These shots are straight off the camera with only a bit of cropping on shot 2 which I did on the Microsoft photo editor supplied with Windows.

Korky - These weren't the closest shots I got; there's one from the two girls sparring that feels like she's coming for me personally due to the speed they move around the ring. I know both girls and they're the best of friends outside the ring but you'd never know that once they put a set of pads on...  You have to trust that these are black belts and the control and awareness they have is quite amazing.

Ash - If you're not familiar with Photoshop, my advice would be to go for the cut down version 'Elements'. It will almost certainly meet all your requirements, it's easier to get to grips with and it's VERY reasonably priced.

The price on Amazon tends to fluctuate so it's worth keeping an eye out for the best deal. When I bought my copy, they were doing it at £32.99 which I thought was an absolute steal. Also bear in mind that the updated version - Elements 13 - is likely to be released in August so it may be worth waiting as each version has something new and potentially useful.

Hope that helps, but I realise that Elements isn't for everyone so others will offer help and advice if you need it. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Korky

Ash - If you're not familiar with Photoshop, my advice would be to go for the cut down version 'Elements'. It will almost certainly meet all your requirements, it's easier to get to grips with and it's VERY reasonably priced.

The price on Amazon tends to fluctuate so it's worth keeping an eye out for the best deal. When I bought my copy, they were doing it at £32.99 which I thought was an absolute steal. Also bear in mind that the updated version - Elements 13 - is likely to be released in August so it may be worth waiting as each version has something new and potentially useful.

Hope that helps, but I realise that Elements isn't for everyone so others will offer help and advice if you need it. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Korky

I think that's very sensible advice - Elements is around 80% of Photoshop for around 20% of the price.

If you use a Mac, there's a program called Pixelmator which costs a fraction even of Elements and is a very elegant and gorgeous looking layer-based image editor, with a lot of what Photoshop offers including Text layers, customised brushes, masks, filters, vector graphics, etc.

Archived