Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Self Perception.

Fogey

Let me say from the outset - this is not a fishing exercise.

I recently had a one to one session with a professional wildlife photographer, as I felt that as an amateur photographer I would benefit from the professional touch, at a cost of £150.

This gentleman had a full frame camera and advocated using aperture priority and controlling the shutter speed by increasing the ISO, so high in fact he achieved a shutter speed of 1/3200th sec.

Now I have a 1.5 crop sensor camera, which means that if I followed what this gentleman said, then I would return an image so grainy as to be unusable.  He couldn't advance on my knowledge of the exposure triangle, although he did give me some valuable pointers of the better settings on the camera.

All in all, I would estimate the value of what I learned to be in the region of £50 - £75.  You live and learn.

One thing I did realise is that I have moved on from being an amateur to a seasoned amateur.  The moral of the story is don't do yourself down.  I certainly did and it cost me to find out differently. 

Edited by Fogey
  • Like 1

We all live and learn, at some point Fogey.... 

Since the appearance of YouTube, I  now use it as my Free tutor, on almost any subject....likewise when I wanted to turn threaded lids on my wooden boxes, my pal loaned me his DVD ....

I discovered that by wearing headphones with a small screen on my lap, I absorbed teaching of all kinds very quickly, because it can be stopped, started and repeated ad- finitum ..... most of my current ....Watercolour skills have bedn learned this way..

Now to bird and wildlife photography.... I practiced a great deal trying to capture our resident black-headed gulls in flight.... a tricky business because they fly so fast.

eventually I worked out, my own, best way.... shutter at least 1000th .... Aperture not more than F8. or less than 5.6....ISO to suit ambient light... but over 300 .....with...Tracking Focus..... then...pan with the bird you are targeting... 

Study birds like gulls and their flight patterns become repetitive and fairly predictable, so you can anticipate where best to catch it against the best background..

Likewise insects, during macro shoots....

I don’t do wild animal shoots so can’t help there....

Now....ask me about....Street Photography....or....DIY or Vinrage lenses...

HAVE FUN !

FUJI

Modesty  is far more attractive trait however  than any form of arrogance  or  overbearance    but  both the latter are often  cloaked in a way that masquerades  as self confidence . In isolation it may be difficult to tell which is which   but usually  the tone and other relative behaviour can determine which is which .   When you  realise that  you are  better than you  once were at something,  there's nothing  wrong  with patting yourself on the back when someone or an incident  such as you have experienced, makes you realise that . As you  rightly said .....You live and learn !?