Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Queen Mary 2

johntwo

Queen Mary 2 bunkering at Southampton pre the virus.  I wonder if she is still crossing the Atlantic on a regular run.  I suspect passengers may be a bit thin on the ground.

1914857165_QueenMary2.thumb.jpg.96b3513ba70fd1d664e481e09003e3b9.jpg                        

I appreciate the magnificent size of such an iconic ship but you wouldn't get me on anything like this even if my life depended on it.... not even on one of those wee boats next to it ... One bad experience with boats can have long reaching effects ...but it's a fabulous photo ...just  getting to a place to fit her all in must have been a challenge in itself John.. I don't think cruise ships are allowed to operate at the moment John ... I  think there are lots of them just  anchored at sea just off Southampton.

3 hours ago, Clicker said:

........................................................ I don't think cruise ships are allowed to operate at the moment John ... I  think there are lots of them just  anchored at sea just off Southampton.

Your right Polly.  Just found her on the Marine Traffic site.  She is anchored off Portland Bill along with Queen Victoria and P&O's Britannia.  The Queen Elizabeth is in Southampton Water.  Looking at the charts, all of the main seaside resorts along the south coast have cruise ships anchored off shore.  I suppose that someone has reasoned that as an attraction, they represent an advert - if nothing else.

I think the pandemic first began to spread quickly on a couple of Cruise ships at the beginning of all this  didn't it and people had to be quarantined  for weeks on board .. I  suppose  the VIRUS  has a captive audience once it gets aboard a large ship and can spread more easily ...  My late brother in law worked as a chef board the original Queen Mary in his younger days and had loads of memorabilia  ..I think she is in San Francisco now .

On 17/08/2020 at 04:42, Kobione said:

Very nice to see this John, but I wouldn't want to be on there in today's situation!

Not much chance really.  It's a magnificent vessel but it is sat doing nothing just off the South Coast at the moment.  Thanks for commenting.

I was reading the other day about these ships off of Portland & Weymouth, a chap is making a living doing boat trips out and around these vessels. Apparently they have to run the generators for the crew , most of theses ships have up to a hundred or so living aboard for running maintenance and the fumes from the generators  exhausts is not good for dockside hence they are moored out at sea....apart from all of the berths at Southampton and the moorings in the Solent are full!

Thanks Denis.  They are anchored up all over the place but some people are still cruising.  A Swedish company has just had to stop because of an outbreak on one of their vessels.  I'm surprised that they found some customers.

Archived