Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Accosted by a Smuggler

Martyn

Managed to find time to get out for a walk with my camera on Tuesday evening. I was exploring some of the back streets of Morecambe when I passed a watering hole I hadn't been in for many years. A man stood in the doorway with a cigarette in hand, I quickly raised my X100T and took a shot. As I walked on I heard a shout, "have you just taken my f...... picture?" I ignored it at first but he shouted louder and the abuse became stronger. I thought it best to stop and talk to the man and explain what I'd just done. I turned to the man and waved and told him I'd taken a picture of the oldest pub in Morecambe and the fact that there was someone stood outside made it look like it was open and welcoming. He asked my where the photos were going and who I was working for, so I told him I was just a happy snapper walking around the seaside town for my own enjoyment. The man wasn't happy and told me to wait until he brought the landlord out. Out came the landlord and we had a chat, he wasn't the least bit concerned and asked his customer to be more polite to strangers walking past his pub. We chatted for a few minutes, the angry customer now much calmer introduced himself and we shook hands. I went on my way a bit shaken and didn't take any more pictures that evening.

For what it's worth, here's the picture

_DSF4059_01.jpg.f5596fb595d34fb86ae16c81287af2aa.jpg

What a shame Martyn ... You dealt with it in a calm and civilised way and  diffused the situation admirably but it is sad that people feel so ready to be aggressive and confrontational before establishing the facts.....and well done to the  Landlord  for using some common sense too.  Don't let it put you off  though ... there really are far more  people who are kind considerate  and willing to engage in friendly banter  so don't let this experience deter you from enjoying your  hobby and past-time.....<sodemoji.1f44d></sodemoji.1f44d>

Hi, Martyn,

in all my years of avid Street Photography, I have only been challenged like this twice....

‘The first time, I didn’t make eye contact or speak, I just walked on as if deaf..... it worked........

The second time was a lady who happened to be crossing the road as I took a photograph of the shops and people on the opposite pavement... just like your subject, she ranted and raved, ordering me to delete the picture.... I politely explained that Street Photography was a well respected genre of our hobby, and that even though she might be in the frame, it wasn’t a picture of her.... I refused to delete it, as politely as possible.... then walked on...

she soured my morning so much I deleted the shot at home anyway.

just twice in twenty years or so, is a pretty good record I think.... in your case, it was probably the beer talking.....

Occasionally  I do get a refusal on a requested Street-Portrait.... but that is always dealt with politely... with smiles as we ..... do no worries.

Put it all down to experience..... but please don’t stop taking Street Photographs..

Should you ever feel inhibited...go look at the work of....Martin Parr.

FUJI

I don't do much street but when I do, I favour a wide angle or a telephoto.  The long lens speaks for itself.  Wide angle means that if you have someone in shot somewhere near the thirds, you're not actually pointing the camera directly at them.  With a name like The Smugglers Den, it's probably full of people that don't like to be too overt. <sodemoji.1f60a></sodemoji.1f60a> 

Archived