Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Visiting Sparrowhawk

When you can't get out into the world it is quite a treat when a bit of the world comes to you. This marauding hooligan has been terrorising my bird feeders. He is quite magnificent so, while part of me wants to protect the finches, tits etc that have become an almost permanent feature of my garden, the other part feels quite priviliged at I should have such a spectacular visitor. I am hoping for the opportunity to catch him in flight. BTW the shot is through (slightly grubby) glass so the clarity may not be 100%.

IMG_5502.thumb.jpg.3deec7c7a5df569bd19902418f2c8b80.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg.f98e6773dd72444d25b75cc33f84c32c.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg.7663b815e6d19ab630d92a071605378c.jpg

Nicely caught under tricky conditions.

They are magnificent to see in action albeit quite brutal, I had the chance to witness one in full action in our garden last year...... it was not good for the pigeon.
The sparrowhawk hung around long enough for me to get the long lens on the camera and was more than happy for me to fire off loads of shots while it feasted.

I have had one feasting for forty minutes on a pigeon in my garden a few years ago so i took about 3 hundred shots of it ... It was about three feet away from some French doors so it was all shot through  doubleglazing.. Luckily  there was a cloudy grey sky and little reflected light on the glass .. I have seen her since but mostly taking smaller birds and taking them up into the trees to devour .. We have a Merlin that comes regularly  but is so fast I hardly see it and everytime it has landed and sat in the magnolia  tree I've only managed once to get a blurry image before it took off again ... ...what a beautiful looking bird though .

Well Done David ... it feels a privilege  to capture a picture of one in the wild so to speak doesn't it ..Which lens did you use btw ?

Good capture and I can see your dilemma David.  That's the trouble with bird feeder. They can provide easy prey.  Apparently , putting them near cover (bushes etc,.) helps.  We have a growing population of Sparrow hawks (I think) in Preston.  I keep seeing them circling near the house but they don't visit.   That leaves me in two minds as well.

22 hours ago, Clicker said:

I have had one feasting for forty minutes on a pigeon in my garden a few years ago so i took about 3 hundred shots of it ... It was about three feet away from some French doors so it was all shot through  doubleglazing.. Luckily  there was a cloudy grey sky and little reflected light on the glass .. I have seen her since but mostly taking smaller birds and taking them up into the trees to devour .. We have a Merlin that comes regularly  but is so fast I hardly see it and everytime it has landed and sat in the magnolia  tree I've only managed once to get a blurry image before it took off again ... ...what a beautiful looking bird though .

Well Done David ... it feels a privilege  to capture a picture of one in the wild so to speak doesn't it ..Which lens did you use btw ?

Yes Polly, it is indeed a privilege. It was my standard go to lens - Canon 18 - 155.

22 hours ago, johntwo said:

Good capture and I can see your dilemma David.  That's the trouble with bird feeder. They can provide easy prey.  Apparently , putting them near cover (bushes etc,.) helps.  We have a growing population of Sparrow hawks (I think) in Preston.  I keep seeing them circling near the house but they don't visit.   That leaves me in two minds as well.

Thanks John The birdfeeders are on a thornily vicious pyracantha bush so there is a degree of protection. Not much of a deterrent to a hungry hawk though!

Archived