Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

FILM NOIR FILTER TO THE RESCUE

FUJI

I'm not sure if any of you use Silver Efex Filters as Plugins in Photoshop 6?

Here I demonstrate how a rather mundane shot, perhaps one that isn't as harp as usual can be rescued by the application of a Film Noir Filter, to a add film-like creative result.....as seen here.

FUJI

NO SMOKING mono film noir good psd.jpg

BUS STOP CHARACTER mono film noir good.jpg

You know what I'm going to say about the lettering on the door in the first one Fuj.  The second is a stunning capture.  Posed on the diagonal, eye contact and the subject are all bang on.  For me, the grittiness is a bit heavy though.  I know why you have added it but perhaps a bit too much (for me).

3 hours ago, johntwo said:

You know what I'm going to say about the lettering on the door in the first one Fuj.  The second is a stunning capture.  Posed on the diagonal, eye contact the subject are all bang on.  For me, the grittiness is a bit heavy though.  I know why you have added it but perhaps a bit too much (for me).

Hi again J2 

The lettering on the door is the key to the photograph, so just couldn’t remove it.

The grittiness works for me because, the originals lacked that certain something unless given this treatment.... just like an Artist leaves certain areas out of a painting so that the brain makes up the rest.

FUJI

2 hours ago, FUJI said:

Hi again J2 

....................................................The grittiness works for me because, the originals lacked that certain something unless given this treatment.... just like an Artist leaves certain areas out of a painting so that the brain makes up the rest.

FUJI

I agree Fuj, just a bit heavy for me.

Ah, I see what you mean about the first.  Because the lettering is foreshortened, it didn't strike me immediately but you're right.

I like both these portraits and the film noir treatment very much as it replicates the look of black and white film developed in the dark room that I miss. It suits these portraits well. I like the unsmiling, direct gaze looking straight into the lens that makes no attempt to please. 

Maybe a bit too grainy for me. Can the grain be reduced with that filter? 

Thank you all for the Always welcome, valuable feedback; it hoes a long way to keeping this old fogey motivated.

Rye, you were spot on, with what the sign says.....NO SMOKING IN THE DOORWAY.... My subject was smoking there, hence his expression, on being caught, by my lens.

The joy and bugbear of Street Photography and Portraiture, is that you do the best with the lens on camera at the time....

With further reference to the grittiness of the...Film-Noir...filters, they like many others are a Marmite thing ...love ‘em, or, hate’em....I like them for helping to retain just the essentials of a study.

FUJI

Archived