Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Bodmin & Wenford Railway

Hatter

Still getting round to posting my "holiday snaps" from last month.

Bodmin & Wenford is a small heritage steam railway in Cornwall.  There was just the one train running on the day we went - the 4612, which was built by the GWR in 1942 and retired from active service in 1965.  After restoration in 2001, it was moved to Bodmin.

IMG_9498.jpg.b9b0575d895e383d587a0fd6d60bbfdf.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg.8bc722a7b98347c99823f80592d599b5.jpg

IMG_9526.jpg.7f7c6ce07d7f225a840ddba6113531c8.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg.d2f30437bee6e479faeea6f564e09ff9.jpg

Thank you both.

2 hours ago, Clicker said:

I’d quite like to see a portrait or even a square crop to include the signal and making the drivers the  main feature of the  first image as a variation

That's an interesting idea.  How's this?
IMG_9498-2.jpg.8c3de888d518b805522115c58b6312ff.jpg

Yup ... like that ... I actually think a portrait format would be even better... Cropping it just  to the left of the W of the GWR ... It probably isn’t the best view from  a trainspotter’s point of view but aesthetically I suspect it works ... 

Because of the various diagonal lines and verticals I don’t think it’s obvious how central he is ... though I accept one usually tries to avoid it unnecessarily. .. I like the square format too  ....that’s not to say the  I don’t like the original image ... they say different things don’t they... my point was really to show how a crop can change the emphasis and dynamics of an image completely ... I certainly  hope you understand that that was my intention and not a criticism of your original photo. I am always experimenting with how a crop can change the balance and perception of an image ... Thanks for trying out my suggestion Gareth... appreciate that .

8 hours ago, Hatter said:

Does that make the driver too central in the frame?

For me yes, I also find the eye is pulled to the signal beyond. What aperture did you use it might be worth opening the lens up a bit to blur the background?

15 hours ago, colinb said:

What aperture did you use it might be worth opening the lens up a bit to blur the background?

Thanks, Colin. 
Aperture was F5.6.  Canon 18-55 kit lens  at 55mm - shutter 1/250 with ISO 400.
F5.6 is the widest I can get from that lens at full zoom.
I was "travelling light" as far as lenses are concerned - that one is quite versatile.

12 hours ago, Korky said:

A very nice set, Gareth - some fine mono processing and I love various crops on shot 1.

Thanks, Korky.

21 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

It's interesting how one image cropped 3 different ways changes the balance of an image and too be honest they all look good.....

Yes - I wouldn't have thought to try that.  I think I like the square crop best.

Archived