Just to let you know we have some new challenges starting Monday 1st July 2019, you can find more details here:

New TIPF Challenges

Ryewolf Ryewolf

Entries close for this weeks Alphabet image at midnight Sunday 1st September ... Post a pic taken this week  ...  How  unusual a subject beginning with 'I' can you come up with eh? .;)

Ryewolf

Don't forget ... last few days to post in August In Focus Challenge. Deadline midnight on Sunday 31st August for your entries (a maximum of 4) in the latest monthly TIPF IN FOCUS challenge.

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/29342-tipf-in-focus-august-2019-open-theme/

Good Luck  everyone ...;)

The Weekly Caption 26/08/2019

All you have to do is add a caption - or two if you fancy.....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/30771-the-weekly-caption-26082019/

Ryewolf

JohnP

Golden-ringed Dragonfly.

I took these shots some time ago, I've only ever come across this species in one spot in the Forest of Dean.

UPDATE.   I used two different cameras I have shown details under each image.

1953433394_Golden-ringedDragonfly1(2).jpg.8a5f17886ef7cea82fa86fb0c2ee8241.jpg

Canon EOS 60D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Sigma macroflash, 1/160s f/16.0 at 100.0mm iso400

1136392536_Golden-ringedDragonfly2(2).jpg.80c6f284793d7b70562b414f486de0f1.jpg

Canon EOS 60D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Sigma macroflash, 1/160s f/16.0 at 100.0mm iso400

1077013617_Golden-ringedDragonfly3(2).jpg.189aa474d48745cd10d0a1cde5e74c37.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100
1/200s f/6.3 at 108.0mm iso100

Edited by JohnP
  • Like 2

Three very sharp images John ... ... lovely colours too ..  quality insect images ..  that third pic looks like it’s about to use that bamboo shoot as if it was pole vaulting ......oh .and  well done on the TIPF In Focus challenge too .

Thank you Polly!

I'm going to let you into one of my little secrets when taking these Dragonfly shots, having already got a boot full of water when getting too close to the edge of the stream when my foot slipped I wasn't going to let that happen again. I then deployed one of my tricks as this Drogonfly insisted on landing on awkward to get to places, I've done this many times before. What I do is to find a stick and push it into the bank of the stream so that it is at an angle and the end is over the water, eventually the Dragonfly will land on the stick usually near the end, I have even been known to use the camera on a tripod, set the camera on manual focusing on the end of the stick, by using a cable I don't have to risk falling in the water if the bank is steep. I didn't use a tripod with these shots though.

• Thanks 2

That’s a cunning ploy John... I’ll remember that ..thanks for that tip..  Shhhhhh your secret’s safe with me ...   fab set again ...  passing on tips to others is appreciated. John ... tis nice to share.

Brilliant advice, hopefully when I get me 200-500 repaired and home again I shall try out your tips...although may have to be next year now, ..next year, my positive year of retirement !

• Like 1

Thank you Polly & Denis!

I've only just realised I used two different cameras, the details are under each image.

Interesting to compare the photos from the two cameras with very different settings ie. top ones small f stop, flash and higher ISO compared to bottom one with low ISO, wider aperture and no flash. Do you have a preference?