Just to let you know we have some new challenges starting Monday 1st July 2019, you can find more details here:

New TIPF Challenges

Ryewolf Ryewolf

I'm looking for Cats, Capybara, Canals... What will you find?

Join us in the A-Z Challenge... Week 3 - The Letter C and see what you can find!!

A little urbex trip around the old RAF Barnham nuclear warhead storage base. Very interesting day out.

4834224E-6D98-41DF-96EE-4B44297693F5.jpeg

28FD357D-2B07-4AAB-84A6-C79DBEE69246.jpeg

774E55AB-43FA-44DB-A11A-B2CF15730288.jpeg

66F188C1-6291-47C9-9460-8F71884A9244.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks like a VERY interesting place to visit.  I particularly like the door - the rust looks like the shape of someone who has been incinerated by a nuclear blast.

Oooooooh this looks like it would be great to stage a model shoot

Love that first image Van ... it does look a great venue for  a fashion shoot I agree with Mitch

9 minutes ago, Clicker said:

Love that first image Van ... it does look a great venue for  a fashion shoot I agree with Mitch

That door is a bit odd, it’s actually a new wooden door with a very good high resolution sticker/wrap. When English heritage got involved in preserving site, they wanted as many of the storage doors saved as possible.  So a local firm that makes signs/carwraps  wrapped the doors with a few different types of materials. They’re trying them out in all conditions. The real door is stored behind the new one.  The only difference is when you get close to the new one you can see it smooth.

Great set of images Vanguard, interesting about the door as well.

41 minutes ago, vanguard said:

That door is a bit odd, it’s actually a new wooden door with a very good high resolution sticker/wrap. When English heritage got involved in preserving site, they wanted as many of the storage doors saved as possible.  So a local firm that makes signs/carwraps  wrapped the doors with a few different types of materials. They’re trying them out in all conditions. The real door is stored behind the new one.  The only difference is when you get close to the new one you can see it smooth.

That's really novel isn't it ...so the real doors are being preserved....what a great idea.

2 hours ago, Clicker said:

That's really novel isn't it ...so the real doors are being preserved....what a great idea.

well they are trying to.  English heritage  and the owners agreed to about 20 out of 57 to be preserved, some are just to far gone. 

These are not much more than reference shots, but they show a bit more of the old base. Two images of the secure storage points inside the hutches. Each one had lead flask which held part of the plutonium core. The image from the look out tower shows the killing ground between number 2 and number 3 perimeter wall. We’re talking big machine guns, attack dogs and land mines all around this base. It’s scary to think how dangerous a place this was during the Cold War.  And it’s less than 20 miles from were I live and grew up.

AB83A239-9D1D-4636-8580-551DA4B958C7.jpeg

BDD4D620-ADA1-4783-B2A0-5922C92CCE7F.jpeg

E23B1E47-5A83-448C-870A-CF02CD3EDAE9.jpeg

7FD225C5-F31E-4AD7-B925-01A1DEA16A15.jpeg

81C6FBE4-772A-4BF6-AE77-2514F218A520.jpeg

• Like 1

Shot 1 works best for me - that really is my kind of grunge.

Looks like a great place for a bimble with a camera.

Korky

• Like 1

Is this the place that is now Gorse industrial estate?, as I remember it was on the left hand side of the road as you came up Elvendon Road from the old A11.

3 hours ago, Denis said:

Is this the place that is now Gorse industrial estate?, as I remember it was on the left hand side of the road as you came up Elvendon Road from the old A11.

Yes that's the place.

• Thanks 1