Just to let you know we have some new challenges starting Monday 1st July 2019, you can find more details here:

New TIPF Challenges

Ryewolf Ryewolf

I'm looking for Cats, Capybara, Canals... What will you find?

Join us in the A-Z Challenge... Week 3 - The Letter C and see what you can find!!

And when I say Cat what I mean is a vintage Reflex-NIKKOR*C 500mm f8 catadioptric (mirror) lens.

To say it was difficult to use would be to ignore the colour of the air around me while I was trying to frame, focus on and nail bird in flight with this monster.

Fun though...

500mm BTS-3.jpg

500mm BTS-2.jpg

Gull Flight 1.jpg

Gull Flight 2.jpg

Razorbill Pair.jpg

Razorbill Displaying.jpg

Three Chicks.jpg

• Like 3

So,after viewing and reading your post I had to google the lens and read Ken Rockwells page regarding the quirks it holds. Surprised to see Nikon only made 2500 of these  Regarding the quality of your photos, I would say you have done an extremely capable job of getting this to focus considering the birds in flight!

Top work BP :)

Edited by Denis

Good results, so the effort was worthwhile.
Is the 'ring' effect in the bokeh a feature of the lens?

27 minutes ago, Hatter said:

They were known for doughnut OOF highlights, at the time though it was the only most of us could get 500mm.

Well done with the results

Well worth the effort - love the bird pics :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denis said:

So,after viewing and reading your post I had to google the lens and read Ken Rockwells page regarding the quirks it holds. Surprised to see Nikon only made 2500 of these  Regarding the quality of your photos, I would say you have done an extremely capable job of getting this to focus considering the birds in flight!

Top work BP :)

Hadb't realised there were so few - I had one back in the day and to be honest time has not softened my opinion of it in use.

8 hours ago, Hatter said:

DONUTS!!!

Its all about the donuts 🤣

To be fair I was hoping for a brighter day so there were stronger spectral highlights on the sea then the rings would have been very well defined.