Kobione

Our bird seed eating friend has a challenger......

A few nights ago, just about teatime our 'usual visitor' came to clean up the birdseed, but then I noticed another one moving in also. See the greyer one coming in behind our usual:

P1010315a_zpskepnjdj8.jpg

Thinking that 'our usual' is an Eastern Brown and the new one is an Eastern Grey as there is a difference in colour. The new one is not as big as our dominant male, but our usual friend didn't like him being close and moved away, not very happy, as the new one inspected the bird table:

P1010317a_zps2akkfpxd.jpg

He decided the seed was ok and started to munch as he did I noticed the size of his nails. You would not want to get into the way of those!:

P1010321a.thumb.jpg.f6e536c037d4df5cca8bc3b869f776f5.jpg

Our usual friend left, but they have both been back each late afternoon and two days after the first visit they both ate, one at each side, usual on the right, newbie on the left:

P1010346a_zpsreexwfa7.jpg

Will be interesting to see what happens next!

• Like 2

Fascinating!  At least they didn't fight over it.

31 minutes ago, Hatter said:

At least they didn't fight over it.

Yes, them claws could do some damage.

There was some 'huffing and puffing' Rye and Hatter, but no actual boxing. We were quite surprised at how our usual one deferred to the other.

A very different view of wildlife as we know it here, fascinating stuff Kobi :)

• Like 1

Thanks Tina and Denis. As you know I cannot set these things up, just 'grab shots' when I can. No idea what will happen tonight, but we will have to keep watch when I've topped the bird seed up again.

The natural shots are the best shots with your animals, Dee, as it gives us an insight into the wildlife behaviour in your part of the world.

I love the close up of the claws. 👍

Edited by NannyFerret
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late to this one - Absolutely excellent, those claws are a bit scary.

Muchly enjoyed as always!

Korky

• Like 1

Wow ... I had no idea that  their claws were so vicious looking...  Always great to get an insight to your world Dee...  it is so far removed from a couple of squirrels and rabbits invading the back garden !!

Thanks Korky and Clicker - those claws can kill in one swipe! We know of a few families who have lost dogs that way, and several people who have sustained quite serious injuries whilst trying to defend a child or a pet. Fortunately, because we can see kangaroos whenever we look out of a window, Kelly & Brodie don't panic, chase or even bother about them, they are 'a natural part' of our environment. 

Flippin' 'eck Dee ...I'll stick to Koala bears !

Just to add a bit more to this, both the 'roos returned yesterday about tea time and, as previously the Grey seemed to be the dominant one. Didn't get a very good picture of his back feet but you can see the size of the toes, and, of course there is power there when they use them. DSCN6912a_zps2bwdujwt.jpg

DSCN6930a_zpseraywxgv.jpg

Have never noticed such healthy looking front claws as on this one:

DSCN6907a_zpsbttyvbkt.jpg

A blurry one from the archives, a long way from the house, but this shows you how those back feet are used in defense - imagine being on the end of that hit!

P1020674a_zpsnnufssz2.jpg

So yes, this does show you the 'not so soft side' of our kangaroos, but we always love watching them in our natural environment.

• Like 1