Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Nikon 850 lens advice

After owning two Nikon cropped sensor cameras, I’ve upgraded to a Nikon 850 full frame camera and looking to buy another lens for it for landscape and general photography. I’m considering the Sigma Art series 24-70 f2.8 & wondering if anyone has any advice about this lens or alternatives.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not much use, but I own a Nikon D750 and the lens that is on my camera probably 90% of the time is Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 (non-VR)
I don't do landscape, but tackle most other things and it's a very able lens, and pin sharp.  I don't know what the Sigma copy is like, but if it's similar, it's a very useful lens for all sorts of genres.  
I would guess the Sigma, having the same lengths and speed would be a good buy, although with a 46mp camera, you might want to consider the Nikon version instead.
Maybe consider hiring one for a weekend, to make sure you're entirely happy with its performance on your camera, before paying out a tidy sum of money?  :)

7 minutes ago, VWGolf said:

Probably not much use, but I own a Nikon D750 and the lens that is on my camera probably 90% of the time is Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 (non-VR)
I don't do landscape, but tackle most other things and it's a very able lens, and pin sharp.  I don't know what the Sigma copy is like, but if it's similar, it's a very useful lens for all sorts of genres.  
I would guess the Sigma, having the same lengths and speed would be a good buy, although with a 46mp camera, you might want to consider the Nikon version instead.
Maybe consider hiring one for a weekend, to make sure you're entirely happy with its performance on your camera, before paying out a tidy sum of money?  :)

Thank you VW. Good advice. I watched a video recently comparing the Nikon 24-70mm lens with the same length Sigma Art Series lens. What biggest difference, other than price, of course, was the VR performance with the Nikon out-performing the Sigma significantly. 

The thing I read about Sigma is that you need to calibrate their focus to your camera.   Not a thing I've ever had to do with any of my Nikon lenses!

I bought my Nikon 24-70 when it was on offer - just before the newer VR version came out, I found out later.  It is a superb lens and with VR on top of the performance of mine, I wouldn't even be considering the Sigma.
On the other hand, I'm not currently saving up my pennies to buy one and I expect there is a considerable price difference between the pair of them.
Good luck with whatever you chose and I'll look forward to seeing your pictures in all their magnificent detail in due course!  :)

My advice ....is to take Bp’s advice...... I have two SIGMA ART lenses.....beautiful things that help get the job done creatively.

Not to dismiss any of the others though.....

My other advice is to look at the second hand market....Ffordes of Scotland usually have a good range of guaranteed stock....I can recommend them.....they sold all my Sony gear at a good return....and my Leica owning pal always gets his lenses through them.

FUJI

2 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

No reason at all to pay the daft prices for the Nikon - the Sigma is equally sharp, just as well made, as fast and far better value.

With the likes of Sigma's ART line the OE kit is pretty much redundant theses days.

Thank you BP. What do you mean by the “OE kit”?

1 hour ago, FUJI said:

My advice ....is to take Bp’s advice...... I have two SIGMA ART lenses.....beautiful things that help get the job done creatively.

Not to dismiss any of the others though.....

My other advice is to look at the second hand market....Ffordes of Scotland usually have a good range of guaranteed stock....I can recommend them.....they sold all my Sony gear at a good return....and my Leica owning pal always gets his lenses through them.

FUJI

Thank you Fuji. I appreciate your advice. I had a look at Ffordes & it looks like a great company for folks in the UK. 

10 hours ago, CMunzel said:

Thank you BP. What do you mean by the “OE kit”?

Original Equipment - basically the Nikon/canon stuff.

Some things they do are still (just about) worth the money but if Sigma have an ART version don't pay the extra for the Nikon and with the likes of Godox etc you don't need your eyeballs ripped out for Nikon Speedlights ad if to comes to general accessories then the branded stuff is just overpriced because they're arrogant and think they can get away with charging a fortune for a (fading) badge.

• Thanks 1