JamesT

King Coal

Coaling up King Edward II, for his first running

IMG_0018.jpg.7a78ac1009b5f082e31d8bd6ac8f3a82.jpg

• Like 2

I've never seen this process before, I've no idea how the ELR gets the coal into their tenders. The image looks like it could have come from anytime.

48 minutes ago, Ryewolf said:

I've never seen this process before, I've no idea how the ELR gets the coal into their tenders. The image looks like it could have come from anytime.

It's the first time I've seen them doing it, basically: there's a ramp up to the coalling stage (hidden behind King Edward here), and they push a coal wagon up that with a diesel shunter, then the hand carts are used to move the coal to the tipping points (the barrier on the near side is an identical lowerable track). Because Didcot went straight from being an active steam-era shed to a "Living museum" in the 60's a lot of the infrastructure is still there.

1 minute ago, JamesT said:

Because Didcot went straight from being an active steam-era shed to a "Living museum" in the 60's a lot of the infrastructure is still there.

Ah, that explains a lot, unlike the ELR were they had to rebuild most of the infrastructure including stations.